Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing cam install soon

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing cam install soon

I am planning on doing a cam swap on my 02 LS1 M6. I will buy a kit from a reputable dealer that will have all "hard" parts necessary included. My question is what kind gaskets or other miscellaneous parts will I need to get it all buttoned and ready to go. I'm excited about the cam install, but I want to make sure it will as smooth as possible without making a lot of trips to the parts store. Thanks guys.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Water Pump Gaskets and Valve Cover Gaskets are reusable. You'll prob need as new front seal!
Old 08-02-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

i know what you mean about making repeated trips to the auto part store
jus get this kit and some loctite and you should be ok

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=85&catid=36
Old 08-02-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice thanks for the help but since i am there I plan on putting in new gaskets and not reusing them. So I will valve cover gaskets, water pump gasket, and timing cover gasket. What about oil pan seal? I heard you had to drop the oil pan some for clearance of something will that seal need replaced. Is it necessary to add a LS6 oil pump and LS2 timing chain. If it is added insurance I will upgrade to them. Thanks for the responses I have so many questions unanswered. I'm also not exactly sure which cam I am going with but I'm ordering it this week.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

If your going to change your pan gasket. You will have to drop the k -frame to do so. If u do it will make putting on the oil pickup tube a lot faster.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

call texas speed and tell them your goals and plans for the car and they will set you up with everything you need. imo better customer service cant be found anywhere! i went with brand new gaskets also. dont forget the oil and filter and i also grabbed a couple spare locks just in case i dropped one and couldnt find it on my cluttered shop floor.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Texas-speed was who I was probably going to go with. I have actually e-mailed someone from there and they suggested the new 224/227 cam that they made. I don't know any other info other than that on it. I wasn't really thinking about dropping the whole oil pan but don't you have to drop the front of it to clear something. Also should I do cam swap let it run a few minutes then change oil. I think I do but I'm new to this internal stuff. and what are those "locks" you speak of.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

i changed my oil before startup and then again after a couple days. i didnt change my oil pump or timing chain cause my car was very low mileage. the locks are valve locks. when you change the cam your gonna half to change valve springs as well. the locks are what keeps the valves from falling down into the cylinder. just dont sweat it and take your time,read every cam install thread you can find,if you get stuck come back here and ask questions. youll do fine!
Old 08-02-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the info. I am real excited about getting this cam ordered. The valve locks are those inside the cylinder heads already or do you have to buy those and how much would those be. Yeah I definitely am changing the springs I'm pretty sure the TSP will get me everything I need as far as hard parts go its all the other unseen parts I'm worried about
Old 08-02-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Hey bro, I dont mean to come off as rude here, but it sounds like you need to do some more research on this mod before you jump feet first into it....you're not sure about cam specs and what they mean, your not sure which parts are needed, you dont know anything about valve springs, retainers, locks. I think you defintly need to have eveything laid out and know what you are dealing with. Granted from what I hear its not a hard task to do, but you need to know what you're doing right from the get go and if you get it wrong, it will do more harm than good.

Search, search, search some more, read all the threads, keep asking questions and try to get someone to help you with this that knows what they are doing. Just trying to be honest with you here so please don't take it the wrong way, I haven't done my swap either, but man, did I read alot of threads to help give me a better idea of what all is needed for the job.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Titanws6
Hey bro, I dont mean to come off as rude here, but it sounds like you need to do some more research on this mod before you jump feet first into it....you're not sure about cam specs and what they mean, your not sure which parts are needed, you dont know anything about valve springs, retainers, locks. I think you defintly need to have eveything laid out and know what you are dealing with. Granted from what I hear its not a hard task to do, but you need to know what you're doing right from the get go and if you get it wrong, it will do more harm than good.

Search, search, search some more, read all the threads, keep asking questions and try to get someone to help you with this that knows what they are doing. Just trying to be honest with you here so please don't take it the wrong way, I haven't done my swap either, but man, did I read alot of threads to help give me a better idea of what all is needed for the job.
Well I hate to inform you but you sir did come off as rude. I do know the hard parts necessary to a cam swap i.e. cam, springs (which as I stated I knew would need to be changed) and of course the matching pushrods to go with it. I was simply asking about the parts that would be a good idea to change while I was there and that aren't included in the "complete" cam swap package from TSP. You did nothing but come in here and tell me to do something that I was already doing thanks alot for contributing absolutely nothing to this thread.

I am not going this alone I have a certified auto mechanic helping me in this swap. I just wanted to know "all" of the parts needed and any little secrets that guys that have actually done a cam swap (unlike you) to make this as painless a process as possible. Oh BTW sorry to come off rude

Oh and 1 more thing the reason I don't know the cam specs on the one I mentioned is because it's a brand new cam from TSP and there isn't any info on their website about it. The person from TSP I talked to said I should look into it and told me it was a 224/227 and that was it. How could I possibly know what the lift rates are and the LSA if he doesn't tell me you need to shut up and stop assuming things you have no idea about.

Last edited by BigBirdLS1; 08-02-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Banned

read this http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

i think ive read it everynight before bed cause im doing my cam install at the end of this month..
Old 08-02-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks speed that is very informative. I will use that during my install.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Well then bro, sounds like you got your shiznit togther there, here some more info on that mystery cam....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...ta-inside.html
Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are going to get an underdrive pulley now is the time to get it. you will want new head bolts and a crank bolt as well. most people recommend getting a new oil pump in a high milage but it is up to you. you will need to partially drop the oil pan for this but you will not be able to change the gasket unless you drop the k-member. so, there is a chance that it could leak afterwards. make sure you have all of the proper tools before you start. many change the intake gaskets too. i would personally get some new ls7 lifters and new lifter trays too.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have actually thought about getting a UDP. But they are pretty expensive and not really a good bang for the buck mod. I know I will need a new crank bolt but I saw somewhere that a longer than stock bolt is recommended.I am planning on a new ported LS6 oil pump so I'm covered there. I don't think I will need new head bolts,gaskets, or lifters as I am not pulling the heads. My car has 85k miles on it and. I rarely drive it but want to keep dd ability. I think my combo will do that fine. A little off topic here but I definitely will be putting a 100 dry shot on it, I'm not worried about tune or plugs just fuel will the stock pump and 30lb. SVO inj. Be enough. Thanks again all ou guys for your help