Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues at the track

Old 08-02-2009, 06:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Issues at the track

So I took the car to the track this weekend and it did not go so well. First run the car fell on its face after launching then recovered so I eased it down track. The second pass I left off idle and the car ran better but was a little lean so I didn't lean on it hard and eased it through the gears. Added some fuel to the tune and then the car would barley start and run, you had to give it gas to keep it running and I could not go into reverse, so I loaded it up. The car was acting a lot like when I had bent a couple of valves last year. I checked the codes since the light was on and had an Injector Driver code, MAP sensor code, VSS sensor code. I thought maybe these could be my issue. I checked over everything and found my #7 injector plug was messed up and I had a bad plug wire. Fixed those issues and hooked the scaner up and had no codes and the sensors appeared to be working but the car would crank and not even attempt to fire, much like when I had bent valves. I started to dig into it and pulled the plugs and this is what they looked like. I will get the valve covers off and do a compression and leak down test tomorrow to further diagnose it. Before I went to the track the compression check was good. Also these were brand new plugs before going to the track.

It looks rich and oily? could I have bad valve seals? rings not yet seated? motor is a fresh 383 forged short block, with the same set up from last year - patriot heads, comp rockers & pushrods, cady lifters and a cam similar to a T-Rex that was built over the winter and only has maybe 10 passes on it.

Search this Thread