Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-sleaving

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-sleeving

I have done many a sleave on merc. outboard motors. I have a screwed up block with 6 good sleaves in it and a great block with one screwed up sleeve. I busted the bad one just to take a look at how the sleeves were in there. Looks like the screw in. Is this true and if so or not how do you get them out and change them.

Last edited by landlord; 11-20-2003 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody got an answer to this. I know when I first started re-sleeving mercs they only had about a hand full of people doing this just as now in LS1's. What Im talking about doing is taking one stock sleave out of one block and putting it in another. Might sound crazy but it works in other applications when new sleeves are over priiced and the labor people want for it is crazy. Im going to give it a try tommorrow one way or another just thought someone might have tried or know how they resleeve back to stock blocks
Old 11-21-2003, 12:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by landlord
anybody got an answer to this. I know when I first started re-sleeving mercs they only had about a hand full of people doing this just as now in LS1's. What Im talking about doing is taking one stock sleave out of one block and putting it in another. Might sound crazy but it works in other applications when new sleeves are over priiced and the labor people want for it is crazy. Im going to give it a try tommorrow one way or another just thought someone might have tried or know how they resleeve back to stock blocks
Sorry to inform you the sleeves are not threaded into the block. The exterior surface has ribs, not threads. GM uses ribs, Honda uses grooves, in fact there are a number of patents for the exterior pattern on sleeves.

The ribs are there to keep the sleeves from moving during operation in the stock block. They are cast in place when the aluminum is poured at the foundry.

If one sleeve is bad you can have a thin wall repair style sleeve installed by a local shop. Sleeves are available through Darton Sleeve Co.