Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Motor Finally Back Together...Is this OK?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow New Motor Finally Back Together...Is this OK?

Motor was honed and has new rings....

Barring the enging over by hand I can hear hissing, I assume the compression leaking past the rings? Thats normal right....?

While barring it over one of the intake valves "creaks" anytime its opening or closing. Sounds like a rusty door hinge without oil...The heads were all lapped then the motor ran for like not even a minute then the heads sat in a garage for a year. I just bolted the heads on so I dont want to waste brand new head bolts, what should I do? Take her apart or throw it together and let it run?Any tricks taking a spring off with the head on without any custom tools?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The spark plugs are out ??? Your going to hear the compression comming out of the exhaust valves or the spark plug holes as you roll the engine over. Are the valves and rockers dry (no oil) if so try dumping oil on the valve train and down the push rod holes to the lifters and then spin it over.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have plenty of assembly lube and oil on the moving parts? You should be liberal with it. It will smoke more when you turn the key, but I'd rather inhale some smoke for a couple of minutes rather than suffer the alternative. With the plugs installed you're fighting compression and valve spring pressure. It's going to take some effort to turn the crank over, but the effort should be consistent throughout the turning process. You shouldn't hit any spots where the effort required to turn the crank is a lot greater than at any other point and you shouldn't hear any unusual noises that repeat themselves during the crank rotating process. Turning the crank from time to time during the assembly process is just some thing you do from time to time as a way of checking your work.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah tons of lube everywhere, I put oil on all the valves stems from the intake port and turned it upside down for awhile....After that no more creaking, there is hissing, plugs are in but yea I guess its the compression coming out of the exhaust, my stang does the same thing.....motors going in tonight....should be running by the weekend if all goes well, just got to figure out where all the power and starter wires go again