Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best cam only setup requiring no flycutting???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 12:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best cam only setup requiring no flycutting???

I've been looking around and have seen guys making awesome power with the g5x2 without heads. Also I see the g5x3 just came out but read in a post that a guy needed flycutting, was it because he had aftermarket milled heads? Can I use this cam on stock heads without flycutting? I'm also interested in what other good cam only setups are out there, as well as how the car runs(does it die? Idle quality?Surging?Power?...)
Old 11-21-2003, 01:56 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from my understanding the x3 is the biggest cam you can go w/o fly cutting on stock heads.

what kind of setup are you looking for and what are your other mods?
Old 11-21-2003, 03:27 AM
Teching In

as of yet I don't have an ls1, I'm selling my lt1 and will be picking up an ls1 in the spring time and I'm researching what type of cam to go with. Supporting mods would be obviously lid, exhaust, also longtubes, ls6 intake, and other minor things ie maf, throttle body....I will be sticking with the 6 speed as well. Setup will be stock displacement, stock heads(most likely), big cam(not overly concerned with drivability), and nitrous will go on sooner or later.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:35 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

We've tried a few cams even bigger than the X3 without flycutting, but they just barely clear! Your giving up allot of low end power and only gaining peak numbers when you get so big on stock cubes. To get the most out of a big cam like that you would need 4.30+ gears and 6000rpm clutch dumps to get moving. Once your in the powerband it'll fly though.