Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0343 and cam to far back?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0343 and cam to far back?

Arrrg. Just finished head/cam/intake swap. I started the car and it ran fine, sounded good, no codes but realized I forgot to plug in the vacuum line for the AC (total run time since cam swap less then an hour and zero miles). So, I pulled the intake after trying to fit it with the intake still on and the next time I start it up I get P0343 code (cam position sensor voltage high). I figured I bumped it when pulling the intake but it looks ok and plugged in. I read on the forum the other time the code shows up is when the cam bolts back out, I find it hard to believe that could be it as the car has less then an hour of runtime and the bolts were put in with red locktite and torqued to GM spec 26ft-lbs.

In any case, I pulled the valley cover to try and see if the bolts backed out. I can't really tell visually and the cam gear is firm with no play of any kind.

I did however notice this:

The cam looks like it is way to far to the rear of the block and its to the point that the edge of the lifter just barely scuffs the lobe of the cam.

-------------------

What do you think, anyway to see if the cam bolts backed out without taking off the front cover?

*If a mod could also delete the thread with the same title in the Generation IV section*
Old 08-13-2009, 05:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a double roller timing set. Did you remember to put the thrust bearing behind the cam gear? A friend of mine had this issue in his GTO and he tore the thing down several times until he realized he forgot to instal the thrust bearing.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Looks like a double roller timing set. Did you remember to put the thrust bearing behind the cam gear? A friend of mine had this issue in his GTO and he tore the thing down several times until he realized he forgot to instal the thrust bearing.

The double roller was already on, I don't remember any thrust bearing.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OutKlast
The double roller was already on, I don't remember any thrust bearing.
That may be your problem...