Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve question...

Old 08-15-2009, 12:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve question...

So a year ago I bought an engine of a guy that was selling it for his buddy. My engine leaked an injector and when i started it in the am, exploded the connecting rod into a trillion pieces.

Back to at hand, I have this engine now with what I will assume is an earlier ls1 out of a vette. it has 803 heads that have been port and polished. I was told it it a ms2 cam in it and so i thought it just had some b.s. valve springs in it.

Well i broke one finally after putting about 30k on them. Now i order myself a set of patriot golds and while trying to put a stock set on, i come to find out the valve stem on my valves are bigger. yeahhhh, doesnt work out too well.

Monday Ill call patriot up and see if they have a set of the .565 valve springs in stock b/c i know they were out of the .505 for a while, no one seemed to have them and Patriot said they just shipped to distributors last Friday.

My question is... why would I have valves with bigger stems???
And what spring is a dual spring but the inside spring is "flat"? As in, its flat vertically but seems kinda thick. The shims were a two piece shim/seat and shinny.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:28 PM
12 Second Club

thats it... 14 views and no answers. what has this site come to. i mean, i havent been on here in years unless looking for an answer... so i dont post much. and in the past four years all i see are question reposted from 5 years ago. what happened to the people that used to yell "search". instead we still ask what heads/cam set up we should use, what does it take to get xxx horse power and will these rims fit.

whatever.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Spanky, maybe everybody is a town hall debate yelling at each other. Just kidding, maybe it is an August thing. Everybody is on vacation.

I don't have a specific answer for you, but your comment deserves a response. Sometimes the tougher engine related problems take more specific information to gain more interest. Sounds like your problem may be somewhat unique, so people might be interested but simply do not have the answer.

I think all Internet boards over time suffer from the same maladies you describe. You will get the "did you search" response, or many threads that sound like the same question being asked repeatedly.

Don't take it personally. Perhaps you can just rephrase your question, add pictures, anything to add to your concern. The more people that share the same problem is the key to getting a lot of responses.

I can't figure your engine problem out online, but perhaps someone else will chime in.

Good luck.

..WeathermanShawn..

Search this Thread