Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shimming for dual springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shimming for dual springs?

Is there any shimming necessary if you use dual springs?i was planning on doing my own cam install in the next month or so when i get the rest of my parts.I am using the Vengeance racing vrx5 cam with the PRC spring kit.I was told that sometimes when using dual springs you have to use shims to get correct preload and spring height.Is the true?if so i probly wont be doing the install myself
Old 08-16-2009, 02:03 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blk99sleekbeak
Is there any shimming necessary if you use dual springs?i was planning on doing my own cam install in the next month or so when i get the rest of my parts.I am using the Vengeance racing vrx5 cam with the PRC spring kit.I was told that sometimes when using dual springs you have to use shims to get correct preload and spring height.Is the true?if so i probly wont be doing the install myself
The shims that people are reffering to are for the valve springs to obtain the correct installed height. They go underneath the locators. Your pushrod length will determine the lifter preload amount. Some have shimmed there rocker pedastal bar, for different geometry, but thats not a common thing that I see of hear alot about.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I ordered 7.400 pushrods.Im not trying to change the geometry.So with the set up im going with will i need to shim anything?using stock heads,no milling or anything.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:48 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blk99sleekbeak
I ordered 7.400 pushrods.Im not trying to change the geometry.So with the set up im going with will i need to shim anything?using stock heads,no milling or anything.
I doubt it. Those PRC kits usually come in around 1.780-1.810 and 7.400 usually works out fine with tolerable preload.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Will i need to measure anyway?if so what tools are needed and how is it done?a link to a write up will work also