Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flycutting guru's come in!!please

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Flycutting guru's come in!!please

I am looking to change my h/c set up .now running ms3/prc5.3's .430rwh/380tq.all bolt ons & fast 92/92.i am looking for close to 5oo rwh and around 340 tq.that said i am looking at a cartek 4x set from a board mbr.i need to know about flycutting the pistons.this ls1 m6 is in my '72 ss camaro and i have done all fabricating install h/c /oil pump/tm chn/ect.never flucutting pistons.i will ad rod bolts when mtr is down. Thanks for all all input.:d
Old 08-20-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Here you go but please try using search button next time (reminds me of JRP)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ee-almost.html
Old 08-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Default flucutting

i did the first time & only brought up my post .after 2/3 more tries i got more results with best in my op from ls1 formulations.note there was only 1 perfect man to ever walk this earth!and he was not so quick to judge anyone !
Old 08-20-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Geeeze dude ... ... lighten up ... nobody is breakin your ***** .... the man was just pointing out to you the search function ... you would be surprised at what you can find when you use it...
Old 08-20-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not judging you, but there is a plathera of stickies and threads, fully detailed about that topic.

Type "flycutting" into "search this forum"
Click search
Read

And leave JC alone, amongst his many qualities was respect, patience, intelligence ..... ~
Old 08-20-2009, 11:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definitely recommend using the Isky tools for flycutting and using a head with the seat cut out of it. I wouldn't recommend cutting your pistons with sanding wheels and using a wrench for a depth measurement! :roll: Your valve reliefs need to be larger than the valve and you need to know how deep you a cutting the relief into the piston. I'll see if I can find you a link of the correct way to cut reliefs. Kevin Doe had a nice thread on it but the pics no longer work.

Something like this needs to be done with the proper tools. Making that kind of numbers is not cheap. Do it right and ensure you won't have any headaches down the road.

Jon
Old 08-20-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Jon don't knock it off unless you've tried it, it works really well

Here is another thread with "proper" tools (sticky)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...t-pistons.html
Old 08-20-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or just use the Lindy tool and you don't have to cut out any valve seats. Do a search for "lindy tool" and "flycut" and you'll find what you need. It worked great on my build.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 443 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
I would definitely recommend using the Isky tools for flycutting and using a head with the seat cut out of it. I wouldn't recommend cutting your pistons with sanding wheels and using a wrench for a depth measurement! :roll: Your valve reliefs need to be larger than the valve and you need to know how deep you a cutting the relief into the piston. I'll see if I can find you a link of the correct way to cut reliefs. Kevin Doe had a nice thread on it but the pics no longer work.

Something like this needs to be done with the proper tools. Making that kind of numbers is not cheap. Do it right and ensure you won't have any headaches down the road.

Jon
Of course you would, and I would bet you either rent or sell those tools as well. Not everyone is rolling in cash and my method works damn well for what it is. Don't make ignorant comments about the fact that we used a wrench for measurement, it was mic'ed at .080 thick and gave us easy, repeatable results on every valve. And yes, the valve guide height was checked and within .002 across the board. Everything was measured multiple times and every valve relief was hand finished so there would be no issues down the road. It was not a half assed, backwoods modification. Hot rodding came from normal people like me making things work with what they had, so please don't act like there's only one way to skin a cat here.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Default F/c

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT!!AS I SAID I DID A SEARCH ,IT DID NOT BRING UP BUT 1 POSTS /MINE FOR FLYCUUTING PISTONS.AFTER A COUPLE MORE WALA.THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.I AM RUNNING MS3/PRC5.3,M6 ALL BOLT ONS,FAST 92/92.'72 SS CAMARO,430RWH...380TQ...DYNOJET,4:56'S,DRAGLITES,5 2 PERC HUMIDITY.REALLY EXPECTED MORE?11.53 BEST PASS ,7.31 1/8.LOOKING AT A CARTEK 4X SET UP MABYE.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, we don't sell or rent any flycutting tools. If we did, I would have told him to give us a call and we'll get him fixed up. I don't think there was anything ignorant about my post. IMO, for someone looking for the kind of power the OP is looking at, it is worth the money to purchase/rent the correct tools for the job. It's not a cheap build to make 500 to the ground. I would hope he has the money to do it correctly if he is really trying for that kind of number.

I'm very aware that this process worked for you. However, I think using the proper tools eliminates several variables. For someone inexperienced in flycutting, I would always recommend the proper procedures rather than using a pieced together method. I'm sorry that offends you. It wasn't meant to.

Jon
Old 08-20-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Red99TA
Or just use the Lindy tool and you don't have to cut out any valve seats. Do a search for "lindy tool" and "flycut" and you'll find what you need. It worked great on my build.
Agree, the Lindy IHPC is the best flycutting tool.