Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trickflow 215cc install???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trickflow 215cc install???

So I installed tfs 215's on my stock ls1, bought the whole install kit. After i tightened the non adj harland sharps some of the rockers are still loose. Could this be because the lifters are not pumped up???
Old 08-23-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck on the HS's. YT's are the way to go though.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by 98ta347
So I installed tfs 215's on my stock ls1, bought the whole install kit. After i tightened the non adj harland sharps some of the rockers are still loose. Could this be because the lifters are not pumped up???
Did you check the pushrod length? Tooley at TEA recommended the H/S so that carry's some weight with me.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Teching In

yeah the kit from trickflow comes with 7.500" pushrods the only thing it didn't come with was lifters
Old 08-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Tough Mudder

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Did they tell you that at Vengence?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

they seem loose because the lifters bled down. as for pushrod length...you should measure...please let us know the cam specs and lobes used along with how much the heads were milled, what head gasket, lifters used, if the rockers were shimmed for wipe.

My suggestion...get wipe and all correct...then measure for pushrod length...spend 3k+ on a HC package...dont skimp on not KNOWING your valvetrain is set up correctly...buy your self a $20 pushrod length checker or make your own for that matter
Old 08-23-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

First off the lifters should not be "pumped up," that will set off your push rod length and the correct preload set. When you presoak them they become more like solid lifters, giving you the incorrect rod length and preload setting. Me you I would get the correct preload numbers from the retailer, use a rod length checker get the correct rod length and do it like that. Taking any ones "word" no matter how much experience while they might have some weight, because I dom't want a hell of a lot of back lash, they'll agree that they are not working on your particular car.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:23 AM
10 Second Club

assuming he installed new lifters and not reused stockers

Originally Posted by 02*C5
First off the lifters should not be "pumped up," that will set off your push rod length and the correct preload set. When you presoak them they become more like solid lifters, giving you the incorrect rod length and preload setting. Me you I would get the correct preload numbers from the retailer, use a rod length checker get the correct rod length and do it like that. Taking any ones "word" no matter how much experience while they might have some weight, because I dom't want a hell of a lot of back lash, they'll agree that they are not working on your particular car.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:39 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You lost me here...For a second I thought it might be Tom Cruise typing this paragraph.

Me you I would get the correct preload numbers from the retailer, use a rod length checker get the correct rod length and do it like that. Taking any ones "word" no matter how much experience while they might have some weight, because I dom't want a hell of a lot of back lash, they'll agree that they are not working on your particular car.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Teching In

I did spend $3k on a kit right from trickflow it came with 215cc heads not milled, head gaskets, hs rockers, headbolts, and pushrods.......
Old 08-24-2009, 09:14 PM
10 Second Club

wow what a garbage response from the OP you provided us with near nothing...again...what head gaskets (thickness), any shimming of the rockers, lifters, did you measure for preload, did you set valve tip wipe, cam specs and lobes.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock rockers + $15.00 T&D shim kit + proper pushrod length (~7.625") = no valve float, good geometry and $300+ left in your pocket...

Been there, done that. MANY times...

Just a suggestion.

Shane
Old 08-25-2009, 01:31 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
Stock rockers + $15.00 T&D shim kit + proper pushrod length (~7.625") = no valve float, good geometry and $300+ left in your pocket...

Been there, done that. MANY times...

Just a suggestion.

Shane
Be careful Shane, you're gonna have the internet mechanics all over you like stink on **** for this one.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel the hate already... All I can say is anyone is welcome at my shop anytime to observe. You know the old saying about "Leading a horse to water..."?

Thanks,
Shane
Old 08-25-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hilton
Nope, did a search and saw many failures. I also found that HS has since corrected the issue, but I'd rather go with the YT's. Have a few friends that ran HS's and had issues. That is why I went with YT's vs using the corrected HS's. Any other smart *** questions?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
I feel the hate already... All I can say is anyone is welcome at my shop anytime to observe. You know the old saying about "Leading a horse to water..."?

Thanks,
Shane
Thanks for posting up an alternative that has been proven to work. No hate here, just appreciation.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Tough Mudder

oh, so you have no first hand experience with them then. Seems like you're the one with the useless post doesn't it. Just able to regurgitate other peoples' views and experiences. I wonder what that must be like.
Don't get dizzy from all the nut swinging.

Quote:
Quote:
Nope, did a search and saw many failures. I also found that HS has since corrected the issue, but I'd rather go with the YT's. Have a few friends that ran HS's and had issues. That is why I went with YT's vs using the corrected HS's. Any other smart *** questions?
Old 08-25-2009, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

haha...XtraCajun...while that would be a good option had he not already dropped coin on the rockers hes just looking to get going with whats hes got. If everybodys bringing up failures Im sure the OEM part is leading that pack(needle bearings crappin out)...with HS coming in second...and YT bringing up the rear
Old 08-25-2009, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

I fell ya man

oh, so you have no first hand experience with them then. Seems like you're the one with the useless post doesn't it. Just able to regurgitate other peoples' views and experiences. I wonder what that must be like.
Don't get dizzy from all the nut swinging.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-25-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

***** too! I've been running the H.S's. since 2007 with no issues what soever. Just because I run a certain product doesn't make it the best on the market. However,I can say that the H.S. rockers have performed great on my heavily modded engine and I would recommend them if anyone asked my opinion.

Quick Reply: trickflow 215cc install???