Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home Porter Pics, NO CNCs

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Home Porter Pics, NO CNCs

I would like to see some good pics of some home ported 243s I know there has to be some of you guys that are still porting at home. So post up some pics and do's and dont's or any kind of info.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL yes it can be ported at home. But its not worth posting a pic cause you cant see or know what a good port job is from a pic.

Plus most people that port at home just mess up the heads more then if they leave it stock. But never know cause they didnt have the money to have them ported so they didnt have the money to dyno before or after there home port job.

With this said ive seen some great home porting jobs, but never as good as a CNC or a pro porter. Its one of though thing If you have to ask or need pics you most likely cant do a great job.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigRich954RR
LOL yes it can be ported at home. But its not worth posting a pic cause you cant see or know what a good port job is from a pic.

Plus most people that port at home just mess up the heads more then if they leave it stock. But never know cause they didnt have the money to have them ported so they didnt have the money to dyno before or after there home port job.

With this said ive seen some great home porting jobs, but never as good as a CNC or a pro porter. Its one of though thing If you have to ask or need pics you most likely cant do a great job.
This answer is exactly what scares people from trying. I don't think pro porters were born pros.I have been spinning wrenches and modding cars for many years and I'm pretty confident in my abilities.That being said you can screw up a set of heads very quickly this is my first go around with the 243s but not my first go around. I do think good side by side pics can tell alot.What do you think people did before CNCing?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Turning wrenchs and being a good head porter is two different animals to say the least.... Sounds like you are getting ready to phuch up a set of heads....please have them flowed when you finish so that we can see how well you did...good luck ...
Old 09-01-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are both right...that is what makes a good arguement right? I port my own heads including cnc'd heads. Sometimes the head ports are smaller than the intake and need port matched. If combustion chambers are smaller than bore you can improve the flow by matching them to the bore (you will lose compression from this though). Try to clean up what is there. Less is ussually better. Remember the mixture is going into the cylinder on intake and out on the exhaust port. Do not forget the importance of competition valves and multiangle valve jobs.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:58 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Good valve job/blend > Home porting with no valve job
Old 09-01-2009, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

what about garage porters....lmao......

if the search is working..do a search on home ported heads or diy porting...lots of good pics in those threads.....
Old 09-01-2009, 12:57 PM
9 Second Club

We hand ported my heads and had them sent to a local shop for a valve job and turned out pretty nice. No flow numbers or anything but they are opened up quiet a bit more than stock. There's a lot of spots that you can't really take out I'm sure that scares a few people from doing it. We cut a head in half to look and see where and how much we could and couldn't port. Pictures won't really help at all but I have some crappy ones anyway I'll post. Lots of blending helps...

stock

Ported

stock

ported
Old 09-01-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Wow.... just....wow

Was it necessary for you to describe which was ported and which wasn't? lol You n eed to calm down with the carbide bit, though.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:02 PM
9 Second Club

Well excuse me, I don't see you in here helping you little *****....
Old 09-01-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Turning wrenchs and being a good head porter is two different animals to say the least.... Sounds like you are getting ready to phuch up a set of heads....please have them flowed when you finish so that we can see how well you did...good luck ...
I am well aware they are 2 different animals. But like I said this is not my first go around porting and cleaning up heads. I am not a pro, nor am I some kid in mom&dads basement with a dremel.The whole idea of this thread was to get some ideas about what guys are doing as an alternative to cncing.If you don't have any thing constructive to post then stay the PHUCH OUT of the thread!!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:06 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSilverado
Well excuse me, I don't see you in here helping you little *****....
Easy fella..

You get an A for effort, but that porting looks pretty chewed up. I'd wager to say you probably gained very little cfm over stock. I'd have a professional porter look at those before you decide to run them (if you haven't ran them already).
Old 09-01-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

While I can certainly appreciate another person's efforts and desire to develop a new skill, I personally would need to have a flow bench (even a home made one) before I would have the guts to attempt porting the bowls at all. Match porting an intake....no problem. But how can you measure any gains/losses without a bench?

My hat is off to you for trying though. You have more guts than me!
Old 09-01-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get some extra output by polishing (not porting) the intake and exhaust ports with a cartridge roll.

Just smooth the surfaces, don't create a tragedy like Dremel Boy did above.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

oh noezzzzzzzz!!!!no one ever ported heads without a flowbench.....you guys act like head porting is some black magic that only wizards and warlocks are capable of doing.....

its like these pro's were born with a big makita in there hand......but us that know better set back and laugh at all the others who dont.....
Old 09-01-2009, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

to the op

for a nice increase in flow...

start off with a nice multi angle valvejob...do some bowl blending,remove the rocker arm boss,trim the valve guide boss,and blend in the swirl ramp with the roof of the intake runner...

and a note the little hump in the roof of the exhaust port...dont cut alot here this is a water jacket and can easily be cut through.....

like i said in my 1st reply,lots of pics and good info on this board.....also lots of neigh sayers.....
Old 09-01-2009, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by crainholio
You can get some extra output by polishing (not porting) the intake and exhaust ports with a cartridge roll.

Just smooth the surfaces, don't create a tragedy like Dremel Boy did above.
never polish an intake runner.....i will agree on not hogging out a runner though...
Old 09-01-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
oh noezzzzzzzz!!!!no one ever ported heads without a flowbench.....you guys act like head porting is some black magic that only wizards and warlocks are capable of doing.....
I suppose if you know nothing about engineering, it's easy to believe it's possible to cut 8 intake ports and 8 exhaust ports by eye with any sort of precision.

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
its like these pro's were born with a big makita in there hand......but us that know better set back and laugh at all the others who dont.....
Makita...

We use pneumatic tools, ace. Try getting any kind of RPM from an electric motor. And that's only for final finish with a very fine abrasive. CNC does the cutting, and it does every port to exactly the same spec.

If you knew anything about engines, you'd know variation in port flow characteristics is not a good thing.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok i dont even know where to start. home clean up good porting No. There are places you go to learn porting most of the time.

You need a flow bench to port heads. Once one port is done and tested. You have to make a mold of the port cut the mold into interlocking partss so you can port and test fit all the other ports to make sure they are all the same.

If one port flow more then the others you have a cylinder that will always run lean .
Old 09-01-2009, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

here ya go just read this thread and the others listed in the thread...hopoe it helps...and props to any other person willing to do somthing on there own...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...wd-you-do.html

Quick Reply: Home Porter Pics, NO CNCs