Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

225K mile LS1

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 225K mile LS1

Hello, I'm new to Camaro world and have reading around the boards for weeks. I have an ls1 that has 225K miles on it, no noises from the engine, runs good, oil pressure is 45psi at idle fully warmed up, just starting to consume oil. Do yall think the engine is worth rebuilding? or do you think i should just buy a used low mileage motor?
Thanks
Old 09-02-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eblue4x4
Hello, I'm new to Camaro world and have reading around the boards for weeks. I have an ls1 that has 225K miles on it, no noises from the engine, runs good, oil pressure is 45psi at idle fully warmed up, just starting to consume oil. Do yall think the engine is worth rebuilding? or do you think i should just buy a used low mileage motor?
Thanks
Where is the oil getting consumed?? Rings? Valve seals?? PCV?? Is there visible blue smoke??

Its common for these engines to use oil through the PCV system, its not a very good design from the factory. Remove your air intake and see if the throttle body and the inside of the intake manifold are coated in oil - if so, you've found at least part of your oil consumption issue.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check around on ebay or craigslist in your area for used shortblocks, (or longblocks if you want even more new stuff), if you find a good one that you like at a good price, go for it. It can range from a couple hundred bucks for a 5.3/5.7 up to a couple grand for a 6.0/6.2 liter if you want more cubes. It is pretty cheap and easy to swap out shortblocks if you get the same LS1 though.

You could always get new mains,studs, forged pistons and rods, clean up the block and heads and throw some nitrous at it for some extra fun!

But if you want to save the most cash, then go with the above and trace the oil consumption to its origin, fix the issue and you can find oem low mileage rods and pistions for dirt cheap if you look around and just have the block cleaned up. Maybe throw on some ARP studs for extra insurance.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

stock rebuild with forged new replacement pistons. u can reuse your crank, rods. with new pistons. or build a 6.0 truck motor
Old 09-02-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd just buy forged pistons and rods, re use stock crank like said above. The pistons will most likely come with new rings, definately do main studs while down there.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:43 PM
I can shift faster than you.

First, track down why the car is beginning to burn oil. A compression test or leak down would be my first choice. See if its leaking past the rings, valve stem seals, PCV, etc.

If the car is relatively stock and you do not plan on any major power upgrades in the future, I would look for some low mile stock rods/pistons, minor machine work (hone, deck, line bore block, polish stock crank, etc.), new rings/bearings, and ARP rod bolts. If done correctly, this motor will serve many trouble free miles ahead. I have done a ton of these in the past where the customer was not looking to spend alot of money and just needed a fresh motor. They work out very well.

If the plans are for power upgrades later down the road, I would look into forged pistons/rods and re-use stock crank.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Thank you guys for you quick and informative replies! I will def be checking the pcv system, i'm pretty sure many parts are at or past its limits though lol.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1sick'98WS6
I'd just buy forged pistons and rods, re use stock crank like said above. The pistons will most likely come with new rings, definately do main studs while down there.
Originally Posted by NemeSS
stock rebuild with forged new replacement pistons. u can reuse your crank, rods. with new pistons. or build a 6.0 truck motor
What Rods and Pistons would he go with? And out of curiosity, sorry to hijack your thread man, what rods and pistons would you go with on a forged motor built for Boost?