Sponsored by:

Is this cam too radical?...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this cam too radical?...

AND What do you think of this setup?

This is the setup recommended to me by Terry at Patriot Performance, I'm just considering it as one of my options, I will also possibly have a polished crank from Lingenfelter if the short block deal I am working out, works out. Along with a freshly honed engine block.

Here is the setup:

Patriot Performance Stage II LS6 style heads with either 59cc or 72 cc combustion chambers(Which do I want and why?)
And a Texas Speed and Performance custom grind camshaft specs: 231/237 .598"/.595" 112 LSA
Along with all the bolt-ons and free mods as well as a bauer p&p throttle body and LS6 intake...probably through shorty headers, and true dual 2.5" exhaust with X-Pipe.

P.S. Don't forget the cam question

thanks for your time!!

EDIT: Incase your wondering, I'm looking to make 430rwhp with this package.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Are you a auto or 6 speed? I have the package you are talking about. Numbers in the sig. Pulls hard and isn't too bad driving around town... killer sound too.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:16 PM
Launching!

M6 - Will be going into a 68 Camaro

Gomer,

Your numbers are what everyone is talking about right now, that is what made me consider this setup, the only difference is I will be going with shortys as custom long tubes are just too expensive right now for me...

A few questions for you:

How is the idle quality?
Do you primarily drag race or auto-x/road race your car?
How is the torque up high? what is your rev limiter set at?

This is primarily going to be a road racing/auto-xing car, but it will see some times at the strip.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2003, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

long tubes you cant make pwhp with a cork.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by samz28
long tubes you cant make pwhp with a cork.
Yeah, I know...I wish I could afford longtubes, but I just can't right now...so the shortys will have to do...:-/
Old 11-27-2003, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ralph L
M6 - Will be going into a 68 Camaro

Gomer,

Your numbers are what everyone is talking about right now, that is what made me consider this setup, the only difference is I will be going with shortys as custom long tubes are just too expensive right now for me...

A few questions for you:

How is the idle quality?
Do you primarily drag race or auto-x/road race your car?
How is the torque up high? what is your rev limiter set at?

This is primarily going to be a road racing/auto-xing car, but it will see some times at the strip.

Thanks!
I know people think I'm lying when I say this, but it is true. I ran the TR220 112lsa on a stock tune and stage II heads for a while before the TSP cam and LS6 style heads. The little TR220 would surge EVERY once in a while when I'd come to a stop sign or redlight, and even went dead a time or two. BUT that was with stock programming. The idle was really smooth. Now, with the TSP231/237 I have LS1 edit tuning and it has NEVER died on me. I can drive it in 6th gear at 1,400 to 1,500 rpms with no problem. Now it does have a pretty choppy idle, but I really like that. Send me an email to sculbert1@netzero.net and I'll email you a copy of one of my dyno pulls. The torque is great on the package.. mostly due to the compression from the 59cc chambers. I'm probably going to add some 4.10 gears down the road to take advantage of it at the track. But, with my 3.42's from a roll on the highway.. the car has impressed the hell out of everyone that has run it. I may take my car to the 1/4 track two or three times a year.. most of my racing is done in "other places" Btw.. I daily drive the car 60 to 75 miles round trip to work and back every day.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the response, that is the information I was looking for...

I am going to be building this engine myself so I'm trying to really do my research and making this as error free as possible...These heads and cam really looks like a viable option...I was just concerned that the cam would be too big. Any other opinions out there??

I'm sending you an email now, I'd really like to see one of those dyno pulls..Thanks agian!
Old 11-27-2003, 09:28 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get a set of Mac midlengths for around 200 bucks by themselves, and they'll make a LOT more power than shorties on a heads/cam car. Will make the same peak # as a longtube header. Something to think about...

josh
Old 11-27-2003, 09:29 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralph L
Yeah, I know...I wish I could afford longtubes, but I just can't right now...so the shortys will have to do...:-/
Ralph, what year was that engine made? On the 2000-2002 years, shorty headers make the same HP as the stock manifolds, so you would be wasting money to buy them.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Damian
You can get a set of Mac midlengths for around 200 bucks by themselves, and they'll make a LOT more power than shorties on a heads/cam car. Will make the same peak # as a longtube header. Something to think about...

josh

Will they clear the steering box and other accessories on a 68 Camaro though?

hmm...

P.S. Josh, GREAT numbers on your new package, congrats again!!

Cal,

Not sure on the year of the shortblock, but it is not coming with manifolds, so I would need those anyways...hmm, what to do, what to do?
Old 11-27-2003, 10:04 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll bet there's a lot of people that almost give you the manifolds off their 2001 or 2002. Or maybe get some headers for a 4th gen and just modify them where you need to. I really don't know how practical that is, but it would be worth checking into.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll have a set of 02 manifolds, cats Y-pipe and LS1 heads when I'm done. I'll be looking for a place to call them home for a rasonable price.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ssheets
I'll have a set of 02 manifolds, cats Y-pipe and LS1 heads when I'm done. I'll be looking for a place to call them home for a rasonable price.
PM me and I'll give you my email address, I'll keep you in mind...

Hmm Cal,

Your idea of modifying Mac midlengths or LT's to fit is a pretty good one, I'm sure even with drastic modifications they would flow better than stock manifolds...I think your right with me just sticking with the manifolds instead of wasting 550-600 on a set of shorty's...Maybe I'll try and make my own headers, I have a friend who's an amazing fabricator who recently published an article in car craft on how to make your own headers, with his assistance, I just might be able to do it..I'll have to see..the mac middys might work too...Shorty's are definitely out for now..that's for sure.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Hooker long tubes will work on a 68 camaro with denting a couple of tubes on the drivers header. I modified some mac headers for my 80 malibu. It is not that hard to do. I wouldn't waste the time on shorty headers. If you don't have access to modify some headers try some Z06 manifolds.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pacesetters are dirt cheap....didnt read much of the other posts so i dont know if this was mentioned or not. 340 bucks for the coated headers at texas speed, thast cheaper than shorties isnt it?