Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil on #7 spark plug?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on #7 spark plug?

I am in the process of changing my plugs and the #7 (back on on the driver's side) has some oil on the threads. The plug itself looks about like the others and the car uses a minimal amount of oil (maybe 1/2 or 3/4 quart in 5000 miles).

This is the first time I have done spark plugs on the LS1 so don't know if this is normal. Anyone know if this is somewhat normal or do I possibly have bad rings/valve seals? Thanks.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jrm1493
I am in the process of changing my plugs and the #7 (back on on the driver's side) has some oil on the threads. The plug itself looks about like the others and the car uses a minimal amount of oil (maybe 1/2 or 3/4 quart in 5000 miles).

This is the first time I have done spark plugs on the LS1 so don't know if this is normal. Anyone know if this is somewhat normal or do I possibly have bad rings/valve seals? Thanks.
If the plug its self isn't darker then you probrably don't have anything to worry about, if it was burning much it should be darker. I guess you could always do a compression test and a leak down just to make sure.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Just finished the job and took a test drive. Honestly it was not that bad but not something I'd want to do every day. My hands are pretty torn up.

It took about 3.5 hours (I'm very methodical) and I got them all from the top. Basically followed install university (removed the AIR pipe on both sides and the coil packs on the passenger side. The hardest were #4 and #8. #4 was hard because my headers have the (blocked off) EGR hookup right where you want to put your wrench (even though I don't have EGR - I guess the headers are meant for a 98-00... I bought the car with them on there already). #8 wasn't too bad once I figured out what combo of wrench/extention to use (I used a swivel 3/8 drive socket wrench with about a 1.5 inch extension made from a 3/8->1/2 adapter and a 1/2->3/8 adapter back to back).

I used the delco iridiums and the idle seems smoother, although the plugs I pulled out were the old delco iridiums (different part #), so they had been done once before, probably when the headers were put on.

As far as the one with oil - the actual part of the plug that was inside the cylinder looks almost exactly like the others, light brown on the insulated part and not black or burnt except at the very base so I'm not too concerned. Probably just something to keep an eye on. I also checked my codes and my motor is happy other than the expected header codes.

Quick Reply: Oil on #7 spark plug?