Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filtered Oil @ Flange Above Filter??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Filtered Oil @ Flange Above Filter??

I have tapped the removable piece above the oil filter for my oil feed line for my turbo... My question is... is the oil you would get from this area filtered yet or not?? Thanks...
Old 09-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would depend where you tapped it. The unfiltered oil enters the oil filter around the outside holes in the top of the filter and filtered oil leaves through the large hole in the center of the filter. Where did you tap the adapter?
Old 09-19-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99RTA
It would depend where you tapped it. The unfiltered oil enters the oil filter around the outside holes in the top of the filter and filtered oil leaves through the large hole in the center of the filter. Where did you tap the adapter?
At the uppermost point of it...where it comes to a tip.... never really though of tapping it anywhere else....also didn't realize that it would make a difference at the adapter..

I've just been thinking it would be nice if the oil going from that to my turbo was filtered..
Old 09-19-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

no, it combines both the front and rear port, the front is nonfiltered, the rear is filtered.

Last edited by sparkwirez06; 09-05-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:50 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Actually that is filtered oil, the only fitting you can get unfiltered oil from is at the M16 port at the front of the block near where the alternator is. The oil flow in the LS blocks travels directly from the oil pump into the oil filter then to the block above the oil filter. That block is connected to the center threaded part of the oil filter location, which is the oil filter outlet.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
Actually that is filtered oil, the only fitting you can get unfiltered oil from is at the M16 port at the front of the block near where the alternator is. The oil flow in the LS blocks travels directly from the oil pump into the oil filter then to the block above the oil filter. That block is connected to the center threaded part of the oil filter location, which is the oil filter outlet.
So if Im understanding this right...if you were to pick up any junk, the farthest it would probably get is into your pump and then the galley to the filter?...

This is good news! I just hated the idea of unfiltered oil finding its way to my Turbo!
Old 09-19-2009, 06:47 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Yes, the oil pump gets unfiltered oil, as with most engines. Anytime an engine starts shedding major debris, the oil pump always takes a hit also, which is why it is always a great idea to replace the oil pump with new engines. Most normal engine debris is very small though, so its not like the pump is pumping an oil and sand mixture.

I should mention that the oil filtration system as delivered stock does have an oil filter bypass valve, if the filter gets plugged or too long of oil change intervals happen (or even if the oil filter cannot keep up with a high-volume/pressure pump...), the bypass will allow unfiltered oil on the clean side of the oil filter, so as to not restrict oil flow to the engine. It sounds bad to have unfiltered oil at any time, but to some extent a cold engine does the same thing. The good news is that the oil filter bypass valve is located in the oil pan (on pans that use PF-46 oil filters), so it can be either tapped + plugged or knocked out and welded shut. I can't remember the exact pressure difference that the bypass opens at, I think it was 3psi.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks you've been very helpful!
Old 10-01-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sparkwirez06
no, it combines both the front and rear port, the front is nonfiltered, the rear is filtered.
I havent had a chance too look on my T/A but is this piece already on the motor just waiting to be tapped or did you buy it? thanks