Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone familiar with SLP's head and cam package for the LS1 for 485HP??

Old 11-30-2003, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Anyone familiar with SLP's head and cam package for the LS1 for 485HP??

Was browsing the intenet today, and I was at their site. Has anyone ever used this package from SLP? Is it worth the near $2500 price tag? I don't want to go too overboard with this car, I would like for it to run in the low 12's high 11's, and I think that 485 HP will be adequate. There are a lot of things about this kit though, like I have to have an LS6 head conversion and stuff like that. I want to keep the car N/A. Just wanted to get some feedback from people who are more knowledgeable than I. Thanks for your time, Paul Moore
Old 11-30-2003, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this package Ls1 or Ls6 heads, probably Ls1 for the price, what size cam is included? It will probably only put down around 415-425 to the wheels, which is not bad but there are more proven packages out their. Slp is not known for their top end packages, at least to my knowledge they are not. Check out some other sponsors to the right, TSP,TEA,MTI,Thunder,LG,Absolute all have packages that i think would work better.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:06 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ya, im familar with it, familar enough to know its a waste of money and better can be had for cheaper. like hotrod said tea, patriot, absolute are ALL better choices and are proven packages. just browse through the varous h/c threads and look at peoples sigs for results.

i honestly dont know of anyone who runs the slp package here, that in itself says something.

also, i'd hold off on any h/c package until you complete the rest of your intake/exhuast setup. your pretty much stock in terms of the engine. get an ls6/lsx intake, some headers (long tube preferably), ported TB, catback, ect.

you'll be chocking off your h/c package if you just install it now.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's hardly a chance that that package will make 400 to the wheels. SLP cams and heads are very conservative and more emissions oriented. You need to call up Texas Speed over here====> in the vendors and get you a set of Patriot 5.3L Stage 2 heads and a 220/220 cam or a 224/224, either on a 114 LSA for driveability. They should be able to get you out for $1000 cheaper then the SLP package and you'll make more power.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:24 PM
TECH Veteran

My buddy has a 01 Firehawk and he has the old SLP H/C package that was rated at 445 hp it comes with a 214/222 115 LSA and on a A4 with Yank 3200 stall made 401 hp 400 tq. Only difference between that package and the 485 is a bigger cam, 234/228 113 LSA. Both are LS1 heads. It makes what it claims. Id have to bug him to find out what times he was pulling with it. Sounded mean as hell with the SLP Long tubes and SLP Loudmouth.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had that setup on my dyno and it made 398rwhp. A bit pricey for the performance gain.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BigP
Was browsing the intenet today, and I was at their site. Has anyone ever used this package from SLP? Is it worth the near $2500 price tag? I don't want to go too overboard with this car, I would like for it to run in the low 12's high 11's, and I think that 485 HP will be adequate. There are a lot of things about this kit though, like I have to have an LS6 head conversion and stuff like that. I want to keep the car N/A. Just wanted to get some feedback from people who are more knowledgeable than I. Thanks for your time, Paul Moore
I think if you want a reliable install thats not gonna cause you any trouble, need adjusting or any maintenence, then thats the package for you... makes decent power, will more than likely pass emissions and majority of the parts are OE GM parts so the fitment will be perfect! Dont expect to blow away others with the numbers, but then again you get to laugh at the others when they break valve springs or have major tuning issues

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with SLP's head and cam package for the LS1 for 485HP??