Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time has come. Which block?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Time has come. Which block?

Ok so I've been saving up and it's time to get real about my head and cam set up.

I'm going to have a budget of about 3k here and I've been trying to decide which heads and cam to go with but even more comes to mind before that.

First: Should I use my stock LS1 with 61k? Right now its full exhaust and just a lid pushing 353/373 to the wheels. Its only been to the track twice with no more than 10 runs.

It was completely stock when I got it and completely babied by its 2 previous owner. I still baby it as well but I've already modded it a bit.

Now my other option would be to get another block. LQ9 or L92 perhaps and build off that?

Now I'm looking to put 450 to the wheels and have it in no way be a DD but i'll primarily be driving it on the street and going to the track now and then. So I dont need it to be tame at all!

I've been thinking about the MS4 with PRC LS6 heads but I'm open to all opinions.

Sorry for the long read and all the info but I need some help and suggestions.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

I would stick with the engine you have.

450 to the wheels is quite doable on stock cubes, and you have relatively low miles to do it on. However, with your budget, a good set of heads may not be in the equation to get there. Judging by your hp numbers, I would imagine it's a manual car, and if that's the case, you are going to need a rear end if you plan on taking it to the track with your new found power. Or at the very least, have that in the back of your mind.

Also depends on what else you want for the future. If you swapped everything over for an LQ9, just to make 450 to the wheels, you wasted your time/money, and added unnecessary weight.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say if its in your budget always go bigger cubes. A 6.0 will make 450 easier than a 346 but you also get the added weight. If you can get your hands on a LS2 or a L92 go for it.

With a bigger aluminum block you'll get the extra cubes without the added weight so there basically no downside.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmm, good call. Puts some things in perspective as far as the iron block. I know getting the H/C wont be a final set up by any means but it'll keep me happy till I have more supporting mods.

Yeah I'm an M6 and I've already put thought into the rear and rest of the drivetrain. As far as the rear, I would take it easy and stay away from the track till I get a new rear (next winter perhaps). So I definitely have that in mind. I know this is the wrong way to do it but I can deal with taking it easy and not going to the track till then. I want to have this power on the street at least and I cant wait!

So what set up is recommended for an under 5k a year car. I want it to be aggressive for the street because obviously its not a DD. I want to keep the beginning of the powerband around 3k and have no less than 450 to the wheels.

Hows my previously mentioned MS4 with PRC stg 2.5 LS6 heads sound for this? Planning on finding a Fast 92 and 92 TB to go with.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
I would say if its in your budget always go bigger cubes. A 6.0 will make 450 easier than a 346 but you also get the added weight. If you can get your hands on a LS2 or a L92 go for it.

With a bigger aluminum block you'll get the extra cubes without the added weight so there basically no downside.
If I could find a deal on a LS2 short block I'd definitely go that route.

Part of me wants to keep my LS1 intact if I'm going to change everything but the short block and accessories.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to buy a new block go ahead and do l92. 500+ at the wheels with heads and cam is doable.