Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused on Cam to use

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused on Cam to use

I have been searching and trying to educate myself on valve train on here so that I can buy a cam I can be happy with. The issue is that I am not buying this cam for track use, but for autocross/long drives on the autobahn. I am in the military and I am going to ship my 67 ls1 powered Camaro to germany.

I have a ported fast90/nw90 setup, with a stock 04 gto ls1. It does have hooker super comp LT with 3 inch exhaust hooked up with flowmaster super 44s. Its got a T56 that is hooked up with a currie made 9inch with a 3.90 trutrack limited slip diff.
Suspension is c6 based front with coilovers and 4 link with coil overs in the rear.

I have been reading and I want something streetable, yet be able to really open her up on the autobahn. I want to see I can get this car to do. This is not going to be my DD, I have a beater for the cold winters in germany. I was leaning towards the polluter because of the price for the packaged deal and the dyno is really impressive. I just recently heard of the "el toro" custom grind and I am liking what I read on that, dyno and track performanve. I would appreciate any suggestions and some direction to take to reach my goal.

Thanks guys,

~Tony
Old 09-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Here are a couple pics to get some interest.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, no cam advice, but HOLY CRAP, nice car!

Someone will give you a cam that will do everything you are looking for.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GORGEOUS car. I asume in the 3200lb range...Stock heads??? I am asking before the cam guys do...

For some other advice get your suspension setup to handle AB speeds which is totally opposite of a drag race suspension. A DR suspendion is downright dangerous in that enviroment...
Old 09-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Just about. Yea the heads are stock. Only things that have been changed is the custom exhaust and the intake/throttle body.

The suspension is custom made for that application. Fully adjustable coilovers on all 4 corners, 12.19 inch 4 piston brakes on all 4 corners as well.

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

El Torro cam or similar will do what you wish, and remain far more tractable at lower engine speeds (city driving, autocross). There is still enough duration there to push 6800-7000 rpms if needed. Avoid the temptation to go all out when selecting your cam and you car should be a hoot to drive.

Nice car! Hope you enjoy running down some euro iron on the AB.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:34 AM
Teching In

Cool so to be clear "el torro" cam is 230/230 .612/.592 111+2 LSA is that 111 LSA for both lobe separation and intake centerline? What rod lengths would i need and is there anything else i should purchase with it?
Old 09-24-2009, 06:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

111 lsa 109 icl, measure for pushrods but I think predator recomends 7.425
Old 09-24-2009, 07:07 AM
Teching In

Last question, anyone know of a cam grinder that offers military discounts?
Old 09-24-2009, 02:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol not to sure about the last question, but I would get that el torro cam but instead of 111+2 lsa I'd go 111+3 or 112+2 to get the lsa up higher to move the powerband up a little to make use of the power on the AB, just something to think about. As someone else said that cam has enough duration to spin to 6800-7000 it would just be better for it to be set up to do that instead of pushing it to do that. My .02 cents
Old 09-25-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Para67camaro
Last question, anyone know of a cam grinder that offers military discounts?
No, but I suggest you choose someone who has done autocross-style LS cams. Preferably someone who also successfully autocrosses an LS engined car so they know what works.

Some of the cam advice in this thread isn't all that good.

BTW, VERY NICE looking First Gen!

Jon
Old 09-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Yea that is why I posted the question, everything here seems to be about the quarter mile. No offense to that, but it is not my thing. I want something that has manners on the street but yet put a big smile on my face on the autobahn. Do you know anyone that I can ask about that?
Old 09-25-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, very cool car man!

It sounds like you want a mid size cam. One that is very streetable, and still makes some impressive peak HP. For you, it sounds like the Polluter might be a little bit big. The El Toro cam seems to be closer to your needs, but I think you would still be comfortable going a little bit bigger and make a little more power. A cam in the middle of the two you mentioned. I would say a mid 230's cam would really fit your needs perfectly.

Why don't you give a PM to Patrick G, or Predator Z. They can spec out a cam for exactly what you want. I see that you are a little bit new to this website, so if you didn't know, the 2 guys I mentioned are the pros at this.

Good luck man. I know you are going to enjoy that car.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
No, but I suggest you choose someone who has done autocross-style LS cams. Preferably someone who also successfully autocrosses an LS engined car so they know what works.

Some of the cam advice in this thread isn't all that good.

BTW, VERY NICE looking First Gen!

Jon
He is refering to BRE Just pm old SStroker......
Old 09-25-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

I have the El Torro cam and it is an awesome cam. Very very streetable but when you wanna rip on it, the power (lots of it) is there. The cam is very strong off idle but imo really shines from 3000rpm and up. Itll pull harder the more you rev it too, which i love. My car still hasnt been tuned except for some light tuning on the street so i can drive it but when i get it on the dyno and dial it in, ill post the results.

And +1 for talking to predator z or pat g.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Para67, if you plan to run this car at/over 250 kph on the AB, which I assume you will, you need to work on the aero to kill the lift. Stock Gen 1's have considerable aero lift at high speed. That gets exciting really quickly!

The stock Z28 decklid spoiler isn't bad and won't kill the look. If you want to add one on just for AB runs (on a scrap decklid, I suggest), a flat plate about 4 inches tall leaned back 15° or so might be good.

You also need to use a front air dam, preferably 3-1/2 to 4 inches high and as wide a possible, at least from inside-inside of tires. The kind used on the TransAm Camaros is ok, but a vertical one a little farther back should also work well.

http://www.automedia.com/Article/ima...0101t1_p01.jpg

Additionally rake the car (nose low, of course) at least 1°. That's a difference of about 1-1/4 inches in rocker panel height from just behind front wheel opening to front of rear wheel opening. The ground clearance in the pic is just about right...or a little lower. Get the airdam near the tarmac.

Again, I really like your car!

Jon

Last edited by Old SStroker; 09-26-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

i wish i owned my camaro when i was over in italy a few yrs ago. you are going to have a blast over there with that thing. i remember whein i was in germany on a bus and i saw a go cart with a license plate on. the bus driver told me anything is just about legal in germany on the road. those supercarts hit over a 100mph.

beautiful car. what color is that its perfect?
Old 09-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Cool, I really appreciate the input. I have the front air dam, it is not installed yet. I still have not gotten the rear deck lid spoiler. I will consider that. As far as the rake goes, and the front ground clearance, the car is not finished yet. It will have the car siting lower than it is right now. I will dial in the stance one I am home, before I ship it.

Thanks again for the advice

~Tony
Old 09-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Teching In

The color is a metallic charcoal grey, with black stripes.

Thanks