Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rings or Valve Seals?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rings or Valve Seals?

A few months ago I foolishly lugged my car up a canyon in 6th gear on a hot day about 10 miles. Just as I hit the top of the hill and started going down the temp went up. I thought no big deal so I just let it coast down the long hill with the engine running. By the time I got to the bottom it was in the red. I figure it must have got a bubble in the system or something. It took about an hour of adding water and starting/stopping it to get the temp back down. Then all was well for a few weeks.

A few weeks later I noticed it was burning a little oil out the exhaust when idling. No big deal at first but it has gotten worse. Now it will usually blow a big puff of smoke out when starting it hot and it smokes more and more the longer I sit idle at a stoplight. It doesn't smoke noticeably during hard accel but when just sitting still in neutral and blipping the throttle it smokes alot. I've had a home depot catch can for about 3 years and in that time collected only about 1 teaspoon of oil.

I'm leaning towards valve seals but would like some other opinions. What do you guys think?
Old 09-30-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess in rings dude, valve seals are cheap and you can go ahead to put a new set on but rings dont like to be ran hot as hell like in your case.

Same thing happened to my old 87 IROC after I swapped Vortec heads and a 218/224 cam in it. One of the heads had a crack in it right underneath the spring perches and it took FOREVER to find. Me and my dad probably overheated that motor 6 times atleast trying to find what the deal was, b/c at first we thought the gauge was wrong...it wasnt. After we found that and put a new head on it and I started driving it, it would smoke exactly like yours does.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think rings too... My gen II did the same thing......running 90mph+ to see my now ex-wife and looked down and temp was pegged at 260*...I stop and water is POURING out of the waterpump. Pressure test shows blown HG. Replace pump and HG's and now I have a skeeter killing machine... Yes excessive temp CAN burn up rings....Further testing will tell you....
Old 10-10-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rings x3.

Seals allow oil to pass, mostly when sitting, and will smoke on startup and stop when warm. Rings produce smoke continuously. Remove the oil cap, if you see smoke from there, you definitly have a blow by problem and need new rings.