Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal ?

looking for some help here. I bought a ls1 engine that had 52k on it when mine blew up. Before i installed it into the car i pulled it all down to make sure everything looked ok. I noticed the cam bearings looked a little worn on one side but the main bearings and rod bearings were in great shape. So replaced the the cam bearings only at that time. I installed the motor last year and have put about 3500 miles on it since the bearing install. I have changed the oil four times since then and everytime i dain the oil it has very fine brass look to it and the oil in some spots looks grey. There was a little build up on the drain plug tonight when i changed it. No engine noises and the oil pressure is around 43 psi at idle and 70-80 when im down on it. This is a H/C/I engine and im just wondering if this is normal for new bearings? Should I tear the engine back down? Please let me know what you think. Thanks Matt
Old 10-04-2009, 02:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt,

I'm not equipped to address the colors you're seeing in terms of probability, but judging from your oil pressure, I would advise an investigation to eliminate the possibility of shearing. Until then, I recommend you using this engine as little as possible, especially avoiding putting unnecessary amounts of excess loads.

Refer to this article:
http://lubricants.s5.com/oil_pressure.htm
Old 10-04-2009, 05:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without seeing the colors you're referring to, and knowing the type and weight of oil you're running it is difficult to tell. If you have pictures of the deposits and oil that would help but I recommend that you post up what additional details you have and send you're oil out for analysis.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand its hard to tell without seeing but what i did do was have a friend bring up his 05 vette and i changed his oil and looked at it. It to had a real fine bearing fragments in it so maybe it is normal. his car is procharged with about 40k on it.