Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunder valve spring compressor - has anyone broken one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder valve spring compressor - has anyone broken one?

I'm referring to this tool:

I recently sold the exact part pictured above (in good used condition) to another member of this forum.

He just PM'd me, and informed me "it broke" after using it on one spring.
I'm a bit skeptical, but am a stand-up guy, and will not hesitate to refund his money if he sends me pics of the broken tool.

I've used this tool before with no issues. I also have friends that have used this tool before with no troubles. (not this particular one, but the same tool).

So....has anyone else broken one of these?

Old 10-03-2009, 07:30 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I used it on one set of dual springs (430lbs open) and it broke, but not like in a bunch of pieces. The square where the ratchet drive goes into stripped out to where the ratchet drive could almost fully rotating in the hole.

It's not a bad tool, but it should not be made out of aluminum.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

I received further clarification from the buyer that it was the bearing that fell apart.

Still waiting on pics from him, but if that's all it is, I'll still refund his money, plus a lil extra to ship it back to me, as I can probably fix it.

Of all the simple part transactions I've done on forums over the years, I was really surprised by this one.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine broke after first change, was so disappointed. I believe the aluminum isnt strong enough. When doing the back springs while in car going to the Dual Valve spring extreme. I had to put more force then usual and eventually bored out the whole for the rachet to stick in sucks. $100.00 down the drain.. Ive spent thousands with them and this is the only problem Ive had there service has been great. Ended up chunking it, instead I should have welded something on the side to slip a rachet into.. Sucks.