Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it ok to reuse factory head bolts

Old 10-08-2009, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is it ok to reuse factory head bolts

i have a 5.3L from a 2000 pickup im putting in my 96 chevy and one head is messed up so switching with another set i have i just wanna know if i need to buy new head bolts or if the old ones will be ok motor is all stock

thanks for any info anyone has
Old 10-08-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

need new headbolts, cannot reuse stock TTY
Old 10-08-2009, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Default head bolts

kinda what i thought but i was hoping i could reuse them thanks for the help
Old 10-08-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You can buy an original GM set for one head from sponsers here for about $25.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gm bolts are crap and
can only be used once
Old 10-08-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's GMs way of adding a little extra "cash" to their pockets...can you say "Greedy" Motors
Old 10-08-2009, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Default head bolts

yeah i hate when they make it so you have to replace things that really shouldn't go bad but thanks for all the info
Old 10-08-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

can you reuse the ARP head bolts??
Old 10-08-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

factory bolts are stretchbolts...thats why they are one timers
Old 10-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
can you reuse the ARP head bolts??
Yes.

They become worth every penny if you plan on taking the heads off a few times, plus you have the added strength
Old 10-09-2009, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

69TA "gm bolts are crap and can only be used once"

Paul57 "It's GMs way of adding a little extra "cash" to their pockets...can you say "Greedy" Motors"

Chevyfor life "yeah i hate when they make it so you have to replace things that really shouldn't go bad but thanks for all the info"

OK guys it is time to get the facts straight. The GM head bolts are not "crap", they do not "go bad", and GM is not "greedy" in the price of their head bolts. The head bolts are designed as a "torque to yeild" fastener... they are turned and stretched to a certain point to apply the proper amount of pressure to their appalication. Once they have been stretched they will not apply the proper pressure to do the job they were designed for. Thus they were designed to be used once and then discarded. If you are going to have the heads off of a engine often or you want a superior fastener then I would suggest a set of ARP studs or head bolts. They are torqued to a foot pound specification and can be used over and over. They cost a little more than the stock GM head bolts but are worth it to me as I change heads from time to time. I all depends on your situation. The LS series of engines are a mericle of modern engineering and design. The performance and durability that they have are truely superior.

Last edited by slt200mph; 10-09-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slt200mph

OK guys it is time to get the facts straight. The GM head bolts are not "crap", they do not "go bad", and GM is not "greedy" in the price of their head bolts. The head bolts are designed as a "torque to yeild" fastener... they are turned and stretched to a certain point to apply the proper amount of pressure to their appalication. Once they have been stretched they will not apply the proper pressure to do the job they were designed for. Thus they were designed to be used once and then discarded. If you are going to have the heads off of a engine often or you want a superior fastener then I would suggest a set of ARP studs or head bolts. They are torqued to a foot pound specification and can be used over and over. They cost a little more than the stock GM head bolts but a worth it to me. I all depends on your situation. The LS series of engines are a mericle of modern engineering and design. The performance and durability that they have are truely superior.
Seriously. Lots of uneducated people in here.

Many modern engines use torque-to-yield head bolts. They maintain the proper torque much better than conventional bolts, and prevent head to block sealing issues.

It has nothing do do with being cheap or making money, its about producing a quality product.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You can buy an original GM set for one head from sponsers here for about $25.

Patriot Performance has the bolts for $25 shipped.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by corvettelover
Patriot Performance has the bolts for $25 shipped.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Teching In

trust me its worth spending the extra money for new bolts. High performance or not.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

If you...want a superior fastener then I would suggest a set of ARP studs or head bolts. They are torqued to a foot pound specification and can be used over and over. They cost a little more than the stock GM head bolts but are worth it to me as I change heads from time to time.
You just proved EXACTLY what I was trying to point out. ARP is a superior fastener, costs more and can be reused. Hmmmm...GM use to sell motors with reusable head bolts. Hmmm...Sounds like they took a step backwards...what could that be for...$$$$$$$...maybe?!!

If you want to believe the hype that is being fed to you that is fine. However, you proved EXACTLY what I was trying to point out.

I am grateful that GMs bolts are not overly expensive and I use them, myself.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul57
You just proved EXACTLY what I was trying to point out. ARP is a superior fastener, costs more and can be reused. Hmmmm...GM use to sell motors with reusable head bolts. Hmmm...Sounds like they took a step backwards...what could that be for...$$$$$$$...maybe?!!

If you want to believe the hype that is being fed to you that is fine. However, you proved EXACTLY what I was trying to point out.

Paul you need to understand the technology and engineering being discussed before you make statements like that. Do your homework sir and then you will understand what we are trying to tell you. The LS series engine is designed for a 200,000 mile life.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Launching!

I would imagine that the heads don't often come off for most people, cam only cars, bolt on cars, bone stock...those people make up a huge majority of the people who currently own a GM LSx motor. So you would never need to replace the bolts that GM has come with the car.

That's just efficiency and not wasteful spending. GM isn't making money off you buying ARP bolts which most people do for the added strength and the fact you can reuse them.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Paul you need to understand the technology and engineering being discussed before you make statements like that. Do your homework sir and then you will understand what we are trying to tell you. The LS series engine is designed for a 200,000 mile life.
I appreciate you pointing out some of this info.
I just want to make sure I have the "bottom line" correct here...it isn't like I've never had bad information before .
So you are telling me that...GM bolts are better for a 200,000 mile motor than the ARP (or any reusable) head bolt is. Correct?????
Old 10-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Launching!

I appreciate you pointing out some of this info.
I just want to make sure I have the "bottom line" correct here...it isn't like I've never had bad information before .
So you are telling me that...GM bolts are better for a 200,000 mile motor than the ARP (or any reusable) head bolt is. Correct?????
Are GM bolts better?
No.

Are ARP bolts necessary on a normal 200k LS motor?
No. The GMs are just fine. If the heads come off two or three times in its longevity you are still saving money by buying the GM bolts. No need for ARPs in that situation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: is it ok to reuse factory head bolts