Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam installed, now excessive backfiring and flashing SES???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam installed, now excessive backfiring and flashing SES???

Ok I just got done monday installing my Texas Speed 228/228 .588/.588 112+2 cam. My tuning is bone stock yet besides SES lights turned off for AIR delete and my ORY. In my sig you can see my other mods, ported LS6 heads, longtubes etc. but anyway this is the second cam i have done and didn't have this problem on my first time installing which is why I am a little worried. The car now is extremely rich, it almost burns your eyes standing behind it and smokes like a diesel when I punch it and other problem is after 3000 rpm it starts to backfire while the throttle is DOWN and the SES light will start flashing for about 15 seconds. It never backfires when I let it hang in gear but while i'm pushing it down above 3K it BANGS and the throttle goes temporarily dead when it does this. I put it new plugs and wires during the cam install and checked and rechecked to make sure the plug wires are tight. I am gonna do a full dyno tune pretty soon and my main question here is this all the tuning that will be taken care of or do I have bigger issues?
Old 10-10-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome I have the same exact problem same cam... good to see im not the only one... damn hopefully one of our posts will get an answer, I searchd for a couple hours last night and came up with not much of anything.

We have almost identical setups, well except i have milled 241 heads.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

*other than full throttle it runs good, idles decent and drives nice, I can tell a nice power gain too until it starts to back fire and SES flashes at me and I let off at about 4-5K
Old 10-10-2009, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

hmmmm either we both need tunes or both f'd our cars up installing
Old 10-10-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NW Iowa WS6
hmmmm either we both need tunes or both f'd our cars up installing
Im hoping for the first item listed, please let it be a tune.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

i dont really have a mechanical answer for what your experiencing but i can tell you its probably not a good idea to be going WOT with a cam on the stock tune.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
i dont really have a mechanical answer for what your experiencing but i can tell you its probably not a good idea to be going WOT with a cam on the stock tune.
haven't gone past 5K but my buddy data logging for me hptuners while we drove showed no knock but it was pulling a lot of timing, full throttle i was in the low 20's and my fuel trims were very rich
Old 10-10-2009, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

could it be from running really rich that fuel is possibly pooling in the exhaust and under heavier acceleration it's causing to explode, that was my buddies idea of a possibility?
Old 10-10-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did either of you call TSP and ask them for advice? i would think it's because of the stock tune but i've never done a cam swap before.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get it tuned. Not a good idea to be revving the motor that high with H/C on a stock tune. If it's running that rich you run the risk of washing the cylinder walls with fuel. Tune it then report back.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Tried calling TSP but not around when I tried, I'll try next week again but i'll wait till after a tune and see if the problem is better then
Old 10-10-2009, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

A Flashing SES light means that the PCM is detecting a MISSFIRE, either you have a ignition issue or since you have a cam now you need to tune the car for the cam and possibly adjust the missfire detection...I wount drive it hard or my opinion at all till you get a tune...if it will be some time before you can get it dyno tuned ...PM frost he offeres very resonable mail order tunes.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I just checked my pre load tonight, I now know that the wrong rod lengths can cause a misfire, it was keeping the valves open causing my misfire, I would check your preload, all I did was pulled the valve covers look at each and every valve, I chose the valves that were almost to the top no load on the springs, I then loosened the rocker arm bolt then tightened it finger tight to get zero lash, then went measured ever 1/4 turn, I got 2 and roughly 1/4 turn out of those valves, leaving me at 0.10575 pre load, ideally you should be around the .050-.080 ish range, I know some people say less or more but this is the great debate, I am using an average of the two sides of the fence. I am getting 7.350 length rods and this knocks me down to 0.0556 preload which will put me in the correct range. roughly, at least now I should have a properly running car.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

The SES flashes when you are >1.5 times the EPA mandated tailpipe emissions threshold which can cause cat damage(assumining you have cats). Misfires can cause this problem, but that's not the only thing. It can be something as simple as a spark plug connector not seated fully.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Well I just checked my pre load tonight, I now know that the wrong rod lengths can cause a misfire, it was keeping the valves open causing my misfire, I would check your preload, all I did was pulled the valve covers look at each and every valve, I chose the valves that were almost to the top no load on the springs, I then loosened the rocker arm bolt then tightened it finger tight to get zero lash, then went measured ever 1/4 turn, I got 2 and roughly 1/4 turn out of those valves, leaving me at 0.10575 pre load, ideally you should be around the .050-.080 ish range, I know some people say less or more but this is the great debate, I am using an average of the two sides of the fence. I am getting 7.350 length rods and this knocks me down to 0.0556 preload which will put me in the correct range. roughly, at least now I should have a properly running car.
I have 7.35 pushrods already, my car once had a big at one time, car went to a dealer, dealer put in stock cam and springs but left the ported LS6 heads on the car and the COMP 7.35 rods, now I put PAC springs and the new 228 cam in along with new spark plugs and wires and I am getting the backfires
Old 10-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Banned

well i know when i am trying to tune a carb on my yfz 450 when i punch the throttle and there is a stuttering kind of bog and it does not pick up, it is because it is running too rich, it was fixed by leaning out the midrange, so im guessing you guys are experiencing a very rich mixture so a tune will do the trick
Old 10-12-2009, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ae13291
well i know when i am trying to tune a carb on my yfz 450 when i punch the throttle and there is a stuttering kind of bog and it does not pick up, it is because it is running too rich, it was fixed by leaning out the midrange, so im guessing you guys are experiencing a very rich mixture so a tune will do the trick
This is what I was thinking, my car runs fine otherwise now with the correct length rods. Well next saturday it gets in for a tune. Probably neds to be leaned out, at least this is what I am hoping for.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
This is what I was thinking, my car runs fine otherwise now with the correct length rods. Well next saturday it gets in for a tune. Probably neds to be leaned out, at least this is what I am hoping for.
Post on here how your tune goes if it fixes everything, we got snow here and i'm putting the car away for winter soon and not tuning till next March or April but i'd like a little piece of mind over the next 6 months if yours gets better. As of right now right when I head to the dyno/performance shop I am taking 7.4 pushrods along, 2 spare 02 sensors, 8 spare plug wires, and 38# injectors to install right before I get on the dyno.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NW Iowa WS6
Post on here how your tune goes if it fixes everything, we got snow here and i'm putting the car away for winter soon and not tuning till next March or April but i'd like a little piece of mind over the next 6 months if yours gets better. As of right now right when I head to the dyno/performance shop I am taking 7.4 pushrods along, 2 spare 02 sensors, 8 spare plug wires, and 38# injectors to install right before I get on the dyno.
No problem man, I am going to see about swapping my O2 sensors. Have you checked the preload on the springs? If you haven't I would do that and then you might be able to sell the 7.4 rods.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

yeah had the same problem with my cam swap. get it tuned and like magic all your problems will be gone