Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is false knock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default what is false knock?

what is false knock I read the experts referring to?

At WOT I believe my LTs or y-pipe is contacting the body creating a pinging sound.

thanks
Old 10-12-2009, 11:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

False knock is just that. The knock sensors picking up things other than true detonation and pulling timing unnecessarily. Any exhuast contact can cause this.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default tuned w/ HPTs

my car has been tuned w/ HPTs I had a basic idea of what I wanted done at the time just the basic stuff.

are the knock sensors usally set to zero when tuned.

or left alone for safeguard purposes.

or is just the senistivety just lowered?

I'm trying to learn more about the PCM .

Thanks
Old 10-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turning them off would be a huge mistake.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd rather cure the problem than band-aid the symptom. Meaning I'd rather eliminate the cause of the false KR rather than desensitizing the knock tables. If you desensitize the tables too much in an effort to mask the false knock, what's to say it won't also mask real knock?

Dump in maybe a half tank of 104 unleaded and re-test. If it's still knocking, it's false. Then follow the knock sensor diagnostic in the Helms manual and a digital multimeter to check your knock sensors, the sensor harness, and the engine harness to the PCM. If those are all fine, then it's either a bad PCM or noise being picked up by the sensors. I would alter the physical install to eliminate any potential false knock.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default KR testing

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I'd rather cure the problem than band-aid the symptom. Meaning I'd rather eliminate the cause of the false KR rather than desensitizing the knock tables. If you desensitize the tables too much in an effort to mask the false knock, what's to say it won't also mask real knock?

Dump in maybe a half tank of 104 unleaded and re-test. If it's still knocking, it's false. Then follow the knock sensor diagnostic in the Helms manual and a digital multimeter to check your knock sensors, the sensor harness, and the engine harness to the PCM. If those are all fine, then it's either a bad PCM or noise being picked up by the sensors. I would alter the physical install to eliminate any potential false knock.
the knock only happens at WOT.

agreed on resolveing the problem and not desensitizing the KS.

I don't have a helms repair manuel do have a multimeter what are the steps in testing the KS?

if the testing procedure finds the PCM to be bad sounds kindof expensive.

I've been reading here at this site and found out about exhaust contacting body

I'm planning on taking a real close look at my LTs my suspion is they are contacting the K-member I rarely hear it.

the LTs have allways been close to K-M maybe years of bottoming out is causeing this contact.

Thanks for you're help and surport
Old 10-14-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah I had that same problem before..Had to re adjust my Y pipe so it would not hit..Pain in the *** I know lool but part of modding a car..Good luck to you I'm sure you'll get it fixed though

Quick Reply: what is false knock?