Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston scuffing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston scuffing?

Ive been hearing about piston scuffing on 408 strokers. Have there been any companies that addressed this problem other than the deck plates?
Old 10-14-2009, 07:20 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Ya, chamfer the bottom edge of the bore and you mite see a difference.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Ok one person come on I know it maybe a stupid question but i need help, anyone. I ve been reading that there may be a set of pistons out there that have the ring groves that are higher on the piston. can anyone verify this/any part numbers.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a quick search for piston taper or break point. Most piston companies haven't considered the different sleeve lengths of the LS blocks into their skirt tapers and the pistons drop out of the cylinder at bdc while the skirt is "in taper" rather than still being at full diameter at bdc. Pretty much a razor blade acting on the skirts everytime the piston comes up and chamfering the bottom of the cylinder isn't all that is necessary. Wiseco has addressed this and a few others have as well, but you REALLY need to do some research on your piston company before running a 4.000 or 4.125 stroke crank. Jeff Smith just did an excellent article on it that we contributed to pertaining to some other engine makes, but what it boils down to is "bad rod ratio" is blamed for a lot of skirt scuffing on strokers for all makes when in fact it's a piston manufacturers inattentiveness.

Thanks, Brian Nutter

Quick Reply: Piston scuffing?