Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent push rods question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent push rods question

Hi every one. Let me tell you I have bought a 99 TA and have found a lot of helpful articles in this forum and wanted to thank every one for the info. But any ways on to my problem. I was racing a Z28 miss shifted and red lined it in neutral and just got right back on it and won the race. But right after that I noticed a clacking sound. I am not much of a mechanic so I took it to the dealership. They said I had cracked both head and bent several push rods. So I was like ok what do you suggest me to do. They wanted like some 1300 dollars to tear down the engine and god know how much to put it together just to look at the rest of the engine to make sure if it was ok. Any ways I figured I could do the work with a little help from internet. When I looked at the heads they looked fine but the push rod holes are egg shaped like 3 out of the 16. The heads where not cracked and if I understand right the rods never should touch the sides any ways unless bent. So my question is the metal shavings will they get in my engines and mess it up or they’re so small they won't mater. The push rod holes were maybe 1/4 inch warped at most and only 3 of them where like this. I want to just stick 16 new rods in and try it out. What do you all think I should do? Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:05 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how did the dealership determine the head was cracked? i highly doubt you cracked it, bent pushrods yes and maybe a bent vavle but i've never heard of crack/damaged heads from a miss shift. where are the metal shavings, just on top of the head in the spring area? the bottom end and cam and lifter and any other related engine component should not have been damaged. i'd do a compression and leak down test, and replace the pushrods with new ones and then go from there.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jrp
how did the dealership determine the head was cracked? i highly doubt you cracked it, bent pushrods yes and maybe a bent vavle but i've never heard of crack/damaged heads from a miss shift. where are the metal shavings, just on top of the head in the spring area? the bottom end and cam and lifter and any other related engine component should not have been damaged. i'd do a compression and leak down test, and replace the pushrods with new ones and then go from there.
The dealership was just jacking with me I think and trying to get free heads and labor money. The shavings are not visable but I know they have to be some where becuase small parts of my heads are worn oval shape. If i have time I am just going to drop some new pushrods in and see what happens.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:34 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do a compression test also though; you could of bent a vavle with the vavle float the might have occured at that high rpm.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:38 PM
Teching In

I had the same thing on my car. Only bent 1 though, but it made the hole egg-shaped. The pushrod broke a week after. I installed new pushrods and did a compression check. All cylinders within 5% of eachother so I got lucky . So I bought a hotcam that came with better springs so an over rev will be less likely to damage the valves with the new hardened pushrods.

Change your oil and do a compression check with new pushrods installed. And I would never go back to that dealership.