Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milled 317 heads + cam, valve to piston clearance ?

Old 10-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milled 317 heads + cam, valve to piston clearance ?

Just picked up a lq4 motor friday night (thanks RedHatRdRacer) and got it torn down to the shortblock saturday afternoon. I'm planning on milling the stock 317 heads .020" and running a stock thickness gasket. What I'm wondering is what kind of lift and duration I need to be looking for on my cam. I don't want to flycut the pistons, but I do want to run as aggressive of a cam as I can. I'm also going to be running a carb on an edelbrock performer RPM intake, I don't know if carb/efi makes a difference for cam grind, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Later down the road, I'm going to pull the motor for a 408 stroker setup, but for now I'm just building off of the stock bottom end just so I can get the car running while I gather parts. Thats why I'm keeping the stock heads for now, and not wanting to go through the PITA of flycutting.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Youll have to buy a cam and see. Max lift doesnt have anything to do with PTV, the piston isnt even anywehere remotely neat the valve at max lift.

Its duration and ramp rate, along with valve event timing that is the PTV killer. YOu have figure out which cam you want, buy it, drop it in, check piston to valve, and find out for yourself.

Remember, no matter what anyone tells you on here about PTV, if they are wrong they arent going to send you money when you crash your engine. You have to check for yourself
Old 10-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
Youll have to buy a cam and see. Max lift doesnt have anything to do with PTV, the piston isnt even anywehere remotely neat the valve at max lift.

Its duration and ramp rate, along with valve event timing that is the PTV killer. YOu have figure out which cam you want, buy it, drop it in, check piston to valve, and find out for yourself.

Remember, no matter what anyone tells you on here about PTV, if they are wrong they arent going to send you money when you crash your engine. You have to check for yourself
Thats why I asked about lift AND duration etc.. I plan on checking ptv with whatever cam I do get, but I at least need to have an idea of where to start. I can't go out and buy random cams till I find one that happens to work.

Search this Thread