Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head gasket problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head gasket problem

well today i installed a new radiator and fire up my car and noticed water dripping so i looked and it was coming from between the head and block so it looks like a gasket. in order to change the gasket from the head which is the driver's side do i need to pull the water pump or drain any coolant?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you sure its not left over coolant that spilled from somewhere? Or that its not the water pump gasket. Usually you will see oil in you coolant but you may not since its new, or there will be a milky substance in the valve cover oil fill or even in the oil. Reason I say this is when a head gasket goes usually you cant see the coolant drip out because the engine burns it, also the car will usually overheat or run like complete crap. It seems too coincidental that it happened after you messed with the rad. However if it is a head gasket you may as well do both heads. I that case the intake, water pump, power steering pump, valve covers and heads must all be taken off. You will also need a new set of head bolts because the stock ones are torque to yield.
Dan-
Old 10-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Teching In

well i just did the head/cam swap also intake but yeah it does look like left over coolant but it seems a lil weird that from the back side of the head it look like bubbles and also dripping coolant dropping all the way down to the oil filter.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:43 AM
Teching In

did you use new water pipe gaskets? Personally, I'd check water pipe gaskets before pulling a head. What head gaskets were used? Some GM gaskets are side specific.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should not happen if you oriented the gaskets correctly and applied enough torque.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

I dont think thats gonna be your head gasket it would take an aweful amount of pressure to push water out of the gasket so its visible.I agree with the guy above when he said steam tube or rear block offs.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by frazierboy98
I dont think thats gonna be your head gasket it would take an aweful amount of pressure to push water out of the gasket so its visible.I agree with the guy above when he said steam tube or rear block offs.
To add to above if it did have enough pressure to do that the motor would probably be running like poo due to the lack of compression.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Fel Pro head gaskets just took a **** on my CETA. Started it up and noticed what I thought was smoke but turned out to be steam. The gaskets failed on both sides at the #3 & #5 and the #4 & #6 cylinders.

Time to get the heads cut down to 59cc's and run some Cometics