Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Semi Budget Shortblock, Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Semi Budget Shortblock, Opinions

Im finally starting to build my Ls1 for my thirdgen swap and i need opinions on the shortblock. This swap is being pushed forward due to issues with my current SBC build (developed a knock). Im building this on a limited budget, but i would like the shortblock to be the best bang for the buck.

Ive started with a 98 Ls1 Shortblock. It has a spun main bearing, but all of the rods are in great shape. im curious if a machine shop can repair a knick in the main saddle where the bearing sets. The bearing spun about halfway around and where the 2 halves of the bearing contact each other left a ridge on the main saddle. Has anyone had a block with main saddle damage repaired before?

Second is the pistons in the block are shot, most of them have little chunks out of the crown, no clue what caused them as i got the block cheap, and when i picked it up the origional owner had left it outside in the rain, although he wd40'd the liners they still have some surface rust. Ive heard mixed opinions on what the 98 blocks can be safely honed out to.

In looking for aftermarket pistons ive found 2 that are relatively cheap. Speed Pro H868CP-25MM and H868CP. 3.898 Bore and 3.907 Bore. I doubt my block will clean up on a light pass with the hone so im limited to the 3.907 bore but i cannot find a single set of rings to use with a 3.907 bore.

I have considered teh Mahle powerpak piston line #LS1340908F04, but at 539.95 from scoggin dickey, they are a little high for the budget, and they are packing a 3.908 bore, which again brings up the max hone out on the 98 block.

I talked to jason @ tsp via email and he reccomended the Tsunami Camshaft for what im trying to achieve.

heres the planned build to get it in the car and running so i dont have to drive my truck everywhere.

3.907-3.908 Bore for either set of pistons
Stock Rods
Stock reground Crank
Ls6 Oil Pump (new from gmpartsdirect)
Ls2 Timing Chain (new from gmpartsdirect)
Texas speed cam kit (Tsunami)
Ls7 lifters
Stock 241 heads with PRC dual springs fromTsp Kit.
Stock Ls1 Intake and Injectors for now, later will be a victor junior
Stock LS1 TB

I do understand i will be choking myself with the ls1 intake, but i do not see a reason to spend 350 on an ls6 to later be replaced with a victor jr and a custom ground cam when my budget will allow.

Anyone have any opinions/ optional parts i can use for a better bang for the buck?

Quick Reply: My Semi Budget Shortblock, Opinions