Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob head gasket question. -_-;

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Noob head gasket question. -_-;

OK. Recently noticed that my car smokes more than I do after warming up. That's bad.

Pulled a couple of plugs and they of course had oil on them, so I decided to change head gaskets. Got the passenger side head off, and got my gaskets from Autozone. However here is the problem.

The Autozone gaskets 9284PT do not have a "Left and Right." Just an "Order 2." Being an idiot, I didn't even think to look at them before bringing them back home.

I started placing one on the passenger side just to see if it would stay on the block on its own, and noticed that to get the passenger gasket to lay the correct side against the block, the "FRONT" part of the gasket, has to point towards the BACK of the block.

I tried searching, but the only thread "Does it matter what way my head gaskets go on?" just advises that the LS1 head is the same for both sides.

Would this mean that I would go ahead and lay the gasket down with the FRONT pointing to the back of the block, as the gasket/head are the same for both sides just flipped around?

I hope I am not too confusing, I have to run off to work as well so I will answer all questions when I get back if there are any.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man buying the gaskets from autozone was a bad idea, im sure dealer gaskets wouldent be much considering you are doing all that work to remove the heads.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Parasoth
OK. Recently noticed that my car smokes more than I do after warming up. That's bad.

Pulled a couple of plugs and they of course had oil on them, so I decided to change head gaskets. Got the passenger side head off, and got my gaskets from Autozone. However here is the problem.

The Autozone gaskets 9284PT do not have a "Left and Right." Just an "Order 2." Being an idiot, I didn't even think to look at them before bringing them back home.

I started placing one on the passenger side just to see if it would stay on the block on its own, and noticed that to get the passenger gasket to lay the correct side against the block, the "FRONT" part of the gasket, has to point towards the BACK of the block.

I tried searching, but the only thread "Does it matter what way my head gaskets go on?" just advises that the LS1 head is the same for both sides.

Would this mean that I would go ahead and lay the gasket down with the FRONT pointing to the back of the block, as the gasket/head are the same for both sides just flipped around?

I hope I am not too confusing, I have to run off to work as well so I will answer all questions when I get back if there are any.
Did I miss something? why are changing head gaskets for a oil burning issue?
Old 11-02-2009, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ae13291
man buying the gaskets from autozone was a bad idea, im sure dealer gaskets wouldent be much considering you are doing all that work to remove the heads.
I have 853's with the raised tab in the head, the dealer gaskets are not also not MLS for these. I am also not in the position to spend $150 on other ones because of that. Also not in the position to buy another set of heads.

Baddbird: I think you need to read up on how to diagnose a head gasket problem.

Can anyone answer my question? Basically, if LS1 heads ARE the same, that would mean the gasket is the same for BOTH sides, meaning it does not matter if you put a right gasket on the left head, or vise versa, as long as the correct coolant passages are sealed?

So is the only difference between head gasket P/N's from the dealer the little FRONT lettering?

Now I am really interested.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LISTEN JERK OFF!!! I think you are the one who needs to do some reading.You don't fix an oil burning issue with head gaskets. I have been diagnosing and repairing cars for 20 years which judging by your abundant amount of automotive knowledge is probably longer then you have been alive.To answer your question you are correct that the head gaskets are the same. Now I would love to here how you diag oil fouled plugs and come up with head gaskets?
Old 11-02-2009, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

You still haven't even read my post all the way, which at the very start states my car smokes. Guess what? It's white and it pukes it out after it warms up at idle.

I also wasn't being a dick when I said that, however, you apparently felt the need to be with your response. If you are as angry as you are on an internet forum, I wouldn't want you _near_ nor diagnosing my car.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

If your post to baddbird wasn't meant to be condescending it came off that way. In your original post you say it smokes and you found oil on the plugs - that by no means indicates a head gasket issue so he was right to ask the question.

Did you do a compression or leak down test? Do have coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant? Does it smoke on acceleration, deceleration or both?
Old 11-02-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You still haven't even read my post all the way, which at the very start states my car smokes. Guess what? It's white and it pukes it out after it warms up at idle.

I also wasn't being a dick when I said that, however, you apparently felt the need to be with your response. If you are as angry as you are on an internet forum, I wouldn't want you _near_ nor diagnosing my car.

Pulled a couple of plugs and they of course had oil on them, so I decided to change head gaskets.This is what you posted.

Did I miss something? why are changing head gaskets for a oil burning issue? This was the my question.

This is your reply to my question.

Sounds like you were being a dick to me.
All the bs aside a head gasket is NOT going to oil foul plugs.Good luck with your head gasket swap I have a feeling your going to need it.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DaddySS
If your post to baddbird wasn't meant to be condescending it came off that way. In your original post you say it smokes and you found oil on the plugs - that by no means indicates a head gasket issue so he was right to ask the question.

Did you do a compression or leak down test? Do have coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant? Does it smoke on acceleration, deceleration or both?
Considering the original question was NOT whether I believe it is a head gasket issue or not.

Yes, I have coolant in the oil. Saw it in my catch can. I do not know if I smoke on either, I am dumped so it's hard to see it at all driving down the road.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's definitely no need to spend $150 on Cometics but you can pick up stock GM headgaskets for about $30. I wouldn't cheap out on an important gasket like that with an Autozone special. On another note, 2000 posts - woohoo!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

They are Felpro, I am not too worried.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^Agreed Felpro's aren't the typical crap you find at the parts stores.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Banned

are they the felpro blue gaskets? because they sell a better one i think those are black
Old 11-03-2009, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

Considering the original question was NOT whether I believe it is a head gasket issue or not.

Yes, I have coolant in the oil. Saw it in my catch can. I do not know if I smoke on either, I am dumped so it's hard to see it at all driving down the road.
Understood but we are asking to try to save you the trouble of putting the heads back on and finding you have the same problem.

Moisture in the catch can does not indicate a problem, it's normal condensation.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just to add in in case you didnt know, if you pull the heads off i believe the head bolts are torque to yeild. so you will need new bolts too
Old 11-03-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Maybe Im missing something but can you flip this gasket over?

Edit, ok here's my take. The driver head is facing with the front of the head facing the front of the motor. The passenger is a carbon copy BUT, it flipped around on the passenger side. Which means, the front of the head itself is facing the firewall. They are copies but not in a mirror image kind of way. So the front of the gasket, which may be a drivers side gasket will have to face the firewall to fit bc the passenger head faces the firewall
Old 11-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ
just to add in in case you didnt know, if you pull the heads off i believe the head bolts are torque to yeild. so you will need new bolts too
yup thats true i think thats like another 50 bux for a set of bolts
Old 11-03-2009, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

01ssreda4: Thanks for clearing it up. That is exactly how I was putting it together in my head and I just wanted to run it by the board to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Then all of these replies happened.

No, I had oil AND coolant in my catch can, it was not condensation. I had been watching all week. Milky yellow mixed with oil. I can post a picture if needed.

Yes, they are the Felpro blue. No need to buy expensive gaskets now, especially when I plan to AT LEAST cam it within a year, meaning the heads have to come off again ANYWAY for new springs. I will be able to save up and get exactly what I want.

In this case I am shopping for what I need.

Bolts are already bought...
Old 11-04-2009, 03:58 AM
Launching!

I plan to AT LEAST cam it within a year, meaning the heads have to come off again ANYWAY for new springs.
You don't have to remove your heads to change your valve springs...
Old 11-04-2009, 06:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jcobra99
You don't have to remove your heads to change your valve springs...
Depends on who is doing the swap.

Quick Reply: Noob head gasket question. -_-;