Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on new motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help on new motor

Alright well I just bought a used ls1 longblock that came from an 01 vette with 6k miles for 500 bucks The only thing I need to get is a new rod and get it line bored and rehoned and buy a new valve for one of the heads. My question is will everything from my 98 trans am bolt up right to it and will just stock main bearings and rod bearings be good enough or should I order some federal mogul bearings because I plan to just keep a stock bottom end but getting a h/c package from TSP. How would I clean my pistons and rods because they have alot of carbon building up on them.
Sorry for all the questions..
Old 12-09-2003, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UGotBeaT
Alright well I just bought a used ls1 longblock that came from an 01 vette with 6k miles for 500 bucks The only thing I need to get is a new rod and get it line bored and rehoned and buy a new valve for one of the heads. My question is will everything from my 98 trans am bolt up right to it and will just stock main bearings and rod bearings be good enough or should I order some federal mogul bearings because I plan to just keep a stock bottom end but getting a h/c package from TSP. How would I clean my pistons and rods because they have alot of carbon building up on them.
Sorry for all the questions..
well since you have it all apart i would definatly change the berings, and i would consider getting it balanced just for my own sanity. especially if you plan on spinning it up to 6600 on a regular basis with a good cam. i have always cleaned my parts with a gunk remover then gas and a toothbrush. it will look almost new then. as far as swaping over parts. the 98 valve covers were different than the rest of them. so i dont thing the 98 valve covers bolt to 01 heads other that that everything should be interchangable as far as i know the only difference in the vette and ta ls1's were the cam size and flow of the heads as far as internal motor stuff, plus the manifolds on the vette are supposed to flow better. hope that answered everything.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oil pan is different as well as the valve covers as already mentioned. Everything else bolts right up.