Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OIL LEAK, Where is it coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL LEAK, Where is it coming from?

i have abrand new rear cover with seal and gasket. can iinstall it without the alignment tool? i would assume i can bolt the pan bolts to the cover first, to get the cover flat against the pan, then bolt the cover bolts, what do you guys think. I think the leak is coming from the seal. My oil pan fills with sludge in teh bottom, look at pics. Part of the starter bolts have oil on them aswell, any advice is welcomed.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Launching!

you know i just posted about my oil leak and i did a search and found yours. i dont know what to do. i have replaced the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket. seems like the leak is worse now
Old 11-07-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

forgot to mention that when i took the tranny out. some of the bellhousing bolts had oil in the threads!! what is this ?
Old 11-07-2009, 09:08 PM
LLC
Staging Lane

The bolt holes in the rear of the crank are not blind holes. They protrude into the crank case. Sealer on the bolts is a must.

From looking at the pics, it looks most likely that the cam sensor o-ring is leaking.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LLC
The bolt holes in the rear of the crank are not blind holes. They protrude into the crank case. Sealer on the bolts is a must.

From looking at the pics, it looks most likely that the cam sensor o-ring is leaking.

where exactly is the cam sensor?

not the those bolts, im talking about the bellhousing bolts.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by themack56
where exactly is the cam sensor?

not the those bolts, im talking about the bellhousing bolts.
cam sensor is right next to the oil pressure sensor, so from looking at the back of the motor, look up towards the intake manifold, the cam sensor protrudes down. and yes i think he is also talking about the bellhousing bolts, i know if i go under my car i see a bunch of sealent that Gm used to seal the bolts from bell housing to tranny. i think the bellhousing bolts are also supposed to be sealent since it goes into the crank case.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ae13291
cam sensor is right next to the oil pressure sensor, so from looking at the back of the motor, look up towards the intake manifold, the cam sensor protrudes down. and yes i think he is also talking about the bellhousing bolts, i know if i go under my car i see a bunch of sealent that Gm used to seal the bolts from bell housing to tranny. i think the bellhousing bolts are also supposed to be sealent since it goes into the crank case.

checked the cam sensor, its clean, no oil on it. so from the pic, do you guys think it can be the bellhousing bolts? how does the rear main seal look.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i remember correctly under that cover or someplace around it there should be a oil gallery freeze plug. that can be a place for oil to leak like that as well. or it could be your rear main seal leaking and throwing the oil all around the rear of the block?
Old 11-07-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ae13291
if i remember correctly under that cover or someplace around it there should be a oil gallery freeze plug. that can be a place for oil to leak like that as well. or it could be your rear main seal leaking and throwing the oil all around the rear of the block?

from the pic, it looks like the rear main is pretty clean, the rear cover isnt to filled with oil. it does have some but not much.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Teching In

When you checked the cam sensor, did you just look on the top of the block? the cam sensor is long and the Oring seal is actually in a web of the block casting below the top bell housing bolt. Mine is leaking, but couldn't tell from looking at the top, I had to pull it all the way out to see where oil was getting past the oring.

If this isn't it, I will be interested to see what you come up with. I just finished putting mine back together and it is still leaking, I think because I didn't adequately clean the sealing surface, but I won't know until I get in there again.

Originally Posted by themack56
checked the cam sensor, its clean, no oil on it. so from the pic, do you guys think it can be the bellhousing bolts? how does the rear main seal look.

Quick Reply: OIL LEAK, Where is it coming from?