Sponsored by:

Engine Cover Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine Cover Leak?

Hey, guys.

Would someone please tell me if an oil leak at either the front or rear engine cover/cover gaskets can simulate the appearance of an oil pan and rear main seal leak?

Conversely, could oil that leaks out of the oil pan or rear main make its way up to the rear engine cover bolts? Or could that never happen and the rear cover bolts would be completely dry no matter how much oil leaks out of the pan and rear main?

Any input will be appreciated.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it coming from between the rear of the engine and bellhousing? Do you have a picture?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

When everything was first taken apart, oil was present around all these bolts along with a seepage of oil on the seam at the blue line and around the entire oil pan seam that meets the engine block. I don't remember seeing any wet oil on the rear engine cover itself. So I'm wondering if oil that leaks from the rear/front engine cover could get around the entire pan seam as well as drip out of where the trans meets the back to create the appearance of a rear main seal/oil pan leak. Also, I would like to know if oil that leaks from the oil pan/gasket or rear main seal could get up around the bolts.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would think that a rear main seal leak would drip onto the spinning flywheel and fling it around inside. When my rear main leaked, i had a giant mess inside my bellhousing.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

The oil filter couldn't ever leak oil along the oil pan seam, could it?

Could leaky valve covers drip oil onto the rear engine cover bolts and oil pan seam?

Quick Reply: Engine Cover Leak?