Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forged pistons for the 4.8/5.3L bore???

Old 11-17-2009, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Forged pistons for the 4.8/5.3L bore???

Does anyone make them, or should I get rid of the 5.3L and get a Lq4?? By the way it's for a FI application and I would want somewhere around 8.8-9.0 CR
Old 11-17-2009, 01:03 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wiseco makes a piston for the stock bore and .020" over bored 5.3L engines with the stock 3.622" stroke and 4" stroker crankshafts. The stock stroke pistons are a flat-top 2.2cc valve relief. The stroker pistons are -7cc dished.

With either of those, you'd be looking at a head swap to get your compression that low. Are you going to be running a crazy amount of boost? What power goals do you have? That's pretty low compression even for a moderate boost combo!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-17-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this a street car or track only?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Wiseco makes a piston for the stock bore and .020" over bored 5.3L engines with the stock 3.622" stroke and 4" stroker crankshafts. The stock stroke pistons are a flat-top 2.2cc valve relief. The stroker pistons are -7cc dished.

With either of those, you'd be looking at a head swap to get your compression that low. Are you going to be running a crazy amount of boost? What power goals do you have? That's pretty low compression even for a moderate boost combo!
Putting a 5.3L in a 240sx with a glide. Car will be registered but rarely street driven. My power goals are based on 15-18psi through a BW S475. I have a free motor with high miles that I want to have built to last. Initial thoughts were forged pistons, rod bolts, arp head studs, mls gaskets, ported 5.3L heads and MS3 cam.

Couple of questions....

Where will the compression be with the stock stroke wisecos?
Can i get a HG thick enough to put the CR back to stock or less?
What cam would you suggest for a turbo 5.3L with a glide and a 3600 stall?

I just don't want to have to run race gas all the time. The low compression was intended to keep me on 93 octane up over 10psi.

Please remember I come from the world of turbo 4cyl were it takes 20psi to get 400whp I'm sure there will be a learning curve for me.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by S13LSx
Putting a 5.3L in a 240sx with a glide. Car will be registered but rarely street driven. My power goals are based on 15-18psi through a BW S475. I have a free motor with high miles that I want to have built to last. Initial thoughts were forged pistons, rod bolts, arp head studs, mls gaskets, ported 5.3L heads and MS3 cam.

Couple of questions....

Where will the compression be with the stock stroke wisecos?
Can i get a HG thick enough to put the CR back to stock or less?
What cam would you suggest for a turbo 5.3L with a glide and a 3600 stall?

I just don't want to have to run race gas all the time. The low compression was intended to keep me on 93 octane up over 10psi.

Please remember I come from the world of turbo 4cyl were it takes 20psi to get 400whp I'm sure there will be a learning curve for me.

You could do a set of heads with a 72cc combustion chambers and the -2.2 relief that matt posted about and be in the low 9:1 compression. Just get a meth kit to keep the detonation from happening. 93 and meth will be fine for 15-18 #'s of boost. I make 11#'s right now on 91 octane 17 deg of timing and no detonation. This winter i'm adding meth and a smaller pully to hit 15-16 #'s, not worried one bit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Forged pistons for the 4.8/5.3L bore???