Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Assembly questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Assembly questions

Front and rear cover alignment. Does someone have a link to a procedure for setting them up without the $400ea tools the service manual procedure calls for?
This is on a brand new block with new covers.
Thanks.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are talking about the timing set cover, there is an easy procedure that requires no special tools. Have the seal already installed in the cover, and the crank already installed. Put the cover on with just a bolt or two put in loose. Then put the pulley on the crank. Now you can put the rest of the bolts in and torque them down. This will insure that the cover is centered around the crank so it doesn't leak oil.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Cal
If you are talking about the timing set cover, there is an easy procedure that requires no special tools. Have the seal already installed in the cover, and the crank already installed. Put the cover on with just a bolt or two put in loose. Then put the pulley on the crank. Now you can put the rest of the bolts in and torque them down. This will insure that the cover is centered around the crank so it doesn't leak oil.

Just to add to this... Youll HAVE to make sure the spacing is even where the bottom of the cover meets the oil pan rails. Too much space on one side and you may have a oil leak.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

...i would only add that after you install the pulley to put all the bolts in finger tight before you tork any bolts...this helps alignment...
Old 12-11-2003, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Its thats simple?
So install the crank, put the front cover on with a couple bolts, install balancer, then align the bottom part of the front cover so its even, then tighten down, then install the rear cover?
So basically we are using the seals to center everything?
Old 12-11-2003, 02:53 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

This is funny. I've done this numerous times and didn't do anything special. I slapped it on and re-used the gasket. No leaks.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Heretic
Its thats simple?
So install the crank, put the front cover on with a couple bolts, install balancer, then align the bottom part of the front cover so its even, then tighten down, then install the rear cover?
So basically we are using the seals to center everything?
Since I do things the "right" way The rear cover is a little bit more. You have to use a straight edge and line it up with the bellbousing mounting surface and oil pan. I dont remember how exactly, but get the Haynes manual for our cars, it has how to do it without the fancy $500 tools
Old 12-11-2003, 02:59 PM

Also, install the front and rear main seals DRY... do not put oil on them or the crank surface. They are made to be done dry as they contain teflon which "melts" to the crank and forms the seal so you dont end up with the front and rear main leaks. Also, again, I think you put the rear main on AFTER the cover is done, not before. Id have to look it up again to be sure.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 4mulaJoe
This is funny. I've done this numerous times and didn't do anything special. I slapped it on and re-used the gasket. No leaks.

Never done a rear cover (yet) but I have done the front cover a number of times. I just slap it on, bolt it down, and 25K miles later is was still without any leaks.