Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random coolant smell ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Random coolant smell ???

So lately every time I start my car to let it warm up I have a coolant smell in the car. It is only when its sitting in idle... When I'm driving no smell. The coolant level has not moved, and there is nothing leaking that I can see, and no white smoke in the rear view mirror. It does seem to be worse when the heat is on. The carpet under the pass side glove box is dry too. I'm am doing a bunch of work to the car this winter and wanted some ideas before I start to tare down half the moter. The original plan was just to retorque/check the head studs but I will lift the heads if I have to. So ideas on things to check while everything is in working order? Also I don't have any over heating issues, so I'm at a loss??? Thanks Guys!
Old 11-19-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your heater core is about to go.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BaddBird
Sounds like your heater core is about to go.
Ditto...
Old 11-19-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

X3 Check for any dampness in the carpet on the PS floorboard.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got this same smell in my truck (GMC Sierra). So its the heater core going bad?

Sorry to thread jack
Old 11-19-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same problem...can it still be the heater core if you are not running hte ac/heater? what about if theres no dampness on the ps side?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nothing on the carpet, its dry as a bone. Also my A/C is gone so thats never running ^^^ as well. How do I check the the core? Remove glove box? I have yet to take the interior apart, these bolts/screws are the last ones left that only GM has touched lol? Thanks for the responses guys

Last edited by conan; 11-20-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

T t t ^^^
Old 11-20-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

when mine went in my camaro, it started with a smell but everything was dry. and then one bay my buddy started freakin out cause his white shoes had green spots on them the heater core lasted a good 3 months b4 i actually went from the time it started smelling
Old 11-20-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by conan
Nothing on the carpet, its dry as a bone. Also my A/C is gone so thats never running ^^^ as well. How do I check the the core? Remove glove box? I have yet to take the interior apart, these bolts/screws are the last ones left that only GM has touched lol? Thanks for the responses guys
Pressure check the system if its weak it will probably leak.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
when mine went in my camaro, it started with a smell but everything was dry. and then one bay my buddy started freakin out cause his white shoes had green spots on them the heater core lasted a good 3 months b4 i actually went from the time it started smelling

Thanks man, did you replace your yourself? Is there alot of the interior that have to come apart?

Pressure check the system if its weak it will probably leak.
Thanks, I'll give it a test next week when I have off for thanksgiving.

Anyone know what causes the core to go bad? My car has 34,xxx miles on it and I have torn something apart several times that required the radiator and coolant to come out of the car. So its had about 5-6 coolant changes in its 34,xxx mile life. Also it has been garage kept all its life.
Thanks again guys
Old 11-20-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.fbody.com/tech/details.cgi?id=42 Haven't had this problem yet but this may help you out. BTW they just randomly go bad. I have an aftermarket radiator that recommends a 22lb radiator cap but I won't run it cause the HC is not designed for that pressure....I run a stock 16lb'er......
Old 11-20-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You might have some electrolysis going on. You might check all your ground connections since you have been into the motor. You can check for electrolysis with a DMM.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

School my dumbass what is a dmm?????
Old 11-20-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
School my dumbass what is a dmm?????
Digital multimeter
Old 11-20-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had a random coolant smell every once and a while,it ended up being my water pump gaskets were weeping. you might want to check those. also a pressure test wouldnt hurt either and would be quicker to diag the problem.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
http://www.fbody.com/tech/details.cgi?id=42 Haven't had this problem yet but this may help you out. BTW they just randomly go bad. I have an aftermarket radiator that recommends a 22lb radiator cap but I won't run it cause the HC is not designed for that pressure....I run a stock 16lb'er......
Thank you sir... Sounds easy enough.

You might have some electrolysis going on. You might check all your ground connections since you have been into the motor. You can check for electrolysis with a DMM.
What is electrolysis? Why would it smell like coolant?

Originally Posted by 99huggerorangeZ
i had a random coolant smell every once and a while,it ended up being my water pump gaskets were weeping. you might want to check those. also a pressure test wouldnt hurt either and would be quicker to diag the problem.
I'm 100% sure the water pump gaskets are not leaking. I had it up on my lift 2 weeks ago checking the block under the heads and the water pump for leaks. I've also had my head in the engine compartment smelling for coolant and get nothing. Walk around and get in the car coolant smell
Old 11-21-2009, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What is electrolysis? Why would it smell like coolant?

In simple terms it is excessive voltage in the coolant that causes the heater core to deteriorate. Electrolysis can and will cause repeated heater core failures. I'm not telling you that's whats going on with your car but, low miles and 5 or 6 coolant changes. You shouldn't have heater core problems. You can check for voltage in the coolant by using a DMM. Take the cap off the radiator put the positive (red)lead in the coolant and ground the negative (black) lead to the battery. Check for AC and DC voltage. To check for AC voltage the car must be running. Electrolysis is possible with .03 volts or higher.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

In simple terms it is excessive voltage in the coolant that causes the heater core to deteriorate. Electrolysis can and will cause repeated heater core failures. I'm not telling you that's whats going on with your car but, low miles and 5 or 6 coolant changes. You shouldn't have heater core problems. You can check for voltage in the coolant by using a DMM. Take the cap off the radiator put the positive (red)lead in the coolant and ground the negative (black) lead to the battery. Check for AC and DC voltage. To check for AC voltage the car must be running. Electrolysis is possible with .03 volts or higher.
Thanks man, we'll give it a try and see whats up.

Quick Reply: Random coolant smell ???