Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft Install Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Camshaft Install Issue

I was installing my camshaft this evening in my LQ4 build-up and something is not quite right.

The camshaft slides in fine (as fine as they do with a little rotating and trying) until the fourth journal seats. At this point it becomes difficult (but not impossible) to rotate the camshaft by hand. Once it is all the way in, it is nearly impossible to turn it by hand. Last time I checked the cam should spin freely with very little resistance.

Does this suggest that my new camshaft is not cut straight? Could it have been damaged in shipping?

I did double check that the cam journals were not to blame by reinstalling my old cam and it went in fine and spun freely once installed.

My guess is that I just need to get a new cam, but I wanted to here other ideas. I want to make sure I fix the problem and not what I think the problem is.

Now I need a beer since I couldn't finish putting my engine together...

Old 11-20-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

If you had no issues before the install with your old cam then its the new cam. Who ever shipped it did a shitty job. Hell have two beers one for me.

Good Luck
Old 11-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i noticed that when i put in my new cam it was a only a little harder to spin since i used the assembly lube and maybe i could have nicked the bearings just a bit. but it was not near impossible to spin. yea there is defiantly somethin wrong with yours man
Old 11-20-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

agreed with above....
Old 11-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Teching In

if their was a problem with the block, it would be with either cam so another vote for defective cam...
Old 11-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there was a member on here that showed pics where 1 of the lobes on his new cam was actually taller then the journal
Old 11-21-2009, 01:39 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Measure the cam journals on the new cam and on the old cam and compare. You can get a caliper from Harbor Freight or a local parts store for pretty cheap. If the new cam is that much larger in diameter, you could have it turned down by a local machine shop or a crank grinder. Before you ask, I highly doubt the manufacturer would pay to have that done, but at least it's not expensive (less than $50).
Old 11-21-2009, 04:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Manufacturing defects are rare due to quality checks.

Nothing is impossible, but my guess would be a nick in the new cam. You might be able to find the problem with your fingers. The journals should be very smooth.

That cam needs to spin free in there.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Thanks all...

I'll take some measurements of the journals and see if there are any nicks. I didn't see anything when I was cleaning it, but I'll check again.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttz1969
Thanks all...

I'll take some measurements of the journals and see if there are any nicks. I didn't see anything when I was cleaning it, but I'll check again.

Put the cam on a flat surface and check for clearance under the bearing journals with a feeler gage or even a piece of paper. A glass table top is quite flat, as are granite counter tops. Formica is less so, but it may work.

If the cam has an oversize journal (somewhat doubtful if it is from a reputable cam company, but possible) the cam will rock about that journal. If it is bent, which it could be from being dropped in transit, it should rest on two journals and the clearance under others should change as you roll the cam. It might even change which journals it rests on as you roll it. I would do the same test with the cam you took out to make a comparison..

I wouldn't suggest having a local machine shop "turn down" a journal. Journals are ground, not turned, BTW. If the cam is bent, changing the journal size is the wrong thing to do. If, in fact there is an oversize journal the cam manufacturer will warranty that. If the cam is bent, it can usually be straightened, but you need to discuss that with the shop who sold you the cam so they can get back to the manufacturer. Determining when it was bent can be a problem.

Sometimes it is surprising how little equipment you need to "measure" something like this.

Good luck, and let us know your results if you try any of this homespun metrology.

Jon
Old 11-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Banned

gl with it
Old 11-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Launching!

you could try and find a set of v blocks measure runout with a dial indicator as well.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Install Issue