Hylift Johnson 2148SE

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 12:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Default Hylift Johnson 2148SE

I know a few of you are using these.
Any issues or comments?

I’ve finished the LS3 short block for my C5 and want to replace the bad set of LS7 lifters that currently reside in the LS1 that’s coming out.

I’ll either use these or the drop in Morels.

Thanks

Ron
Old 05-07-2020, 07:19 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought the word was Hylift Johnson are chinese and Johnson is a different company. And the rep from Johnson will tell you this if you call.
This is why you can get Hylift Johnson on ebay for $120 to $300.
https://johnsonlifters.com/AboutUs/WarrantyClaim.aspx
I'd pay $400 more for a part thats laser etched with the company name and doesn't have BS everywhere about there origin, thats just me.
The following 3 users liked this post by _Red_SS:
Jimbo1367 (07-14-2022), patSS/00 (12-18-2020), Stefan N (12-23-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 08:39 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by _Red_SS
I thought the word was Hylift Johnson are chinese and Johnson is a different company. And the rep from Johnson will tell you this if you call.
I'd pay $400 more for a part thats laser etched with the company name and doesn't have BS everywhere about there origin, thats just me.
I bet you are a picky eater too
Old 05-07-2020, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Very interesting....
I bought some Hylift HA2148SE from
https://jamsionline.com/.
I did find them cheaper from an over sea site, but the picture they showed them all bright --colored. The ones I got are ringed with two black areas and look well made.
I have not installed them yet. There is a video on the US manufacturing plant, in an old thread. Not the video but close
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...od-ones-3.html

Here is the box they came in. Notice it says Made in the USA.
Hope this helps.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Thats not accurate their made in USA , the parent company is Topline Automotive ..Lifters manufactured and assembled at Hylift Johnson Plant in Muskegon, Michigan.

Last edited by omc8; 05-08-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by omc8
Thats not accurate at all their made in USA , the parent company is Topline Automotive ..Lifters manufactured and assembled at Hylift Johnson Plant in Muskegon, Michigan.
Thats What they say alright.

Ask the guy from morel that used to post on here. Ask BTR. Or search. Hylift is an old company that can make lifters. It's been said that they don't though.

Realize this is not my opinion. Its based on what some well known people in the business have said.

I'm just the mailman. You can buy and believe whatever you want.

For me. If I'm tight on money I'll go for the $80 hylifts and not the $350 hylifts. Same part number. Same picture. Not sure what the metrics are on that pricing strategy.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats What they say alright.

Ask the guy from morel that used to post on here. Ask BTR. Or search. Hylift is an old company that can make lifters. It's been said that they don't though.

Realize this is not my opinion. Its based on what some well known people in the business have said.

I'm just the mailman. You can buy and believe whatever you want.

For me. If I'm tight on money I'll go for the $80 hylifts and not the $350 hylifts. Same part number. Same picture. Not sure what the metrics are on that pricing strategy.
Well I don't know exactly what the others have said about them , Do they claim that Hylift does not make those lifters ?in that Michigan plant. As for the claim the hylift is knocking off Johnson lifters don't believe it .Hylift bulk business is oem stock replacement ,they are not racing lifters . While it maybe true to call the 2148 SE a performance part .They are not a copy of or knockoff .of Johnson Lifters.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

This may be a case of two of the same product being made in two different locations for two different markets. The OEM lifters may be manufactured in a lower cost facility with lower wage employees in a different country.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default More information

I did find the Ebay site that was selling the import Hylifts, but there were out of stock and removed the photo that showed a different colored lifter.
Here is the YouTube link that shows the machining of the lifter.

youtube.com/watch?v=lLx_2UKcjS4

To make the link work, copy and paste. A direct link could not show up.

Last edited by Metalchipper; 05-08-2020 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:45 PM
Banned

I guess these two companies have a personal problem with each other. No big deal.

https://www.johnsonlifters.com/products.aspx

All products sold from and using the name: TopLine Hylift‐Johnson (Muskegon)
are knockoff products that copy or imitate the physical appearance of our products but are manufactured in China and other Countries. They Sell Imported products.
Again, not my words. Just my observation.
The following users liked this post:
Metalchipper (05-08-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve done some mechanical work at hylift in Muskegon. It’s been about 4-5 years now and they were making lifters then, but the place was a ghost town in there. Big old building but I bet there were only 10 guys working in there. I work that area daily and drive by there fairly often and there aren’t many cars there. So they probably aren’t making a large quantity there, but the old beat up place in busted up ski town is still going with some classic old school machinists in the obligatory long blue coats....lol
Old 05-09-2020, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MISOMWS6
I’ve done some mechanical work at hylift in Muskegon. It’s been about 4-5 years now and they were making lifters then, but the place was a ghost town in there. Big old building but I bet there were only 10 guys working in there. I work that area daily and drive by there fairly often and there aren’t many cars there. So they probably aren’t making a large quantity there, but the old beat up place in busted up ski town is still going with some classic old school machinists in the obligatory long blue coats....lol
Well it's good to know that there are still some good old school Machinist out there producing parts they're a dying breed for sure! From your observations were there any outsourcing of parts coming into the plant ? I know that you can't buy 2281 lifter directly from hylift anymore this is one of their better quality lifters so apparently they have scaled back production considelyy from what it was at one time.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess these two companies have a personal problem with each other. No big deal.

https://www.johnsonlifters.com/products.aspx

Again, not my words. Just my observation.
"Don't kill the messenger"
agree and there maybe a small bit of truth to it ! Or Hylift Topline would sue Johnson Lifters for slander .
Old 05-09-2020, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m not really sure if there are outsourced parts coming into there. But if I had to guess I’d say no. There doesn’t seem like there is much semi truck traffic in and out of there if they were storing/moving parts in and out of there and not actuality producing anything . I had to work on there production chiller when I was there last so at that time they were using their equipment and making lifters so maybe they produce for the aftermarket (small quality production)in musk and the oem work (high volume less quality) hylift does is in another plant possibly overseas?
Old 05-09-2020, 04:33 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Well, I was looking for the Guinea pigs that had actually used a set of these and could report.
But, I guess not.

So the GM LS7 12499225 are what's in both the Nova and the Vette. The ones in the vette since 2012 bleed down so fast that you can watch them when cranking the engine during a compression test. The ones in the Nova don't do that. Hence the desire to replace them. I should not the Vette has AFR heads with AFR upgraded springs by PAC and are 425 over the nose. Helps control the heavier valves and the YT Ultra Heavy rockers.....

Those came from a GM dealer. I paid $119, was the going rate back then. I see now they are $250+
Morel seem to still be available for $200 or so.

Anything better, such as slow leak versions are $400 plus. Nothing preventing a guy from spending $1200 on lifters.

So, prob bend over and buy a better lifter.

As far as the diatribe above about China vs US made, who the hell knows. I did some poking around as well.
It's all fake news now.

Ron
The following 2 users liked this post by RonSSNova:
Jay Fisher (05-09-2020), Metalchipper (05-09-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 01:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts

Here is the link with the video of them, made in USA.

Old 06-13-2020, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TimsLS1
Here is the link with the video of them, made in USA.

https://youtu.be/lLx_2UKcjS4
Part of the confusion is there has been a eBay seller , selling import fake Hylift lifters . That YouTube clip was posted earlier in post #9
Old 06-13-2020, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

The USA made 2148 LS7 lifter costs around $130 and the 2148 SE cost around $240. Here is an email from Dave from Topline USA (Hylift Johnson) re them. Here are the pics he sent.

With those spring & cam numbers you are going to want the 2148SE, they will work perfectly for your setup.

I have attached a photo of 2148 vs 2148SE, they use the same casting material.

Notable difference is the internals being tighter, “c” clip retainer , & black oxide body on the 2148SE.

They are good up to 160 lbs of seat pressure & they will perform up to 6800 rpms with your cam setup.

Hope this helps & have a great day.

Thanks ,

Dave Ewert

Hy-Lift Johnson Co.

800-441-1400 x 611

Old 06-13-2020, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

Another Email to Dave from me (with permission) and reply (my dual PAC springs have 160 lbs seat pressure)

I have some 2148 already I may have to sell those, I'm curious what would happen if I used them instead of the 2148SE? I decided on and purchasing at bit milder camshaft now, I wont be reving past 6500 rpm with same .585 lift and same 392 lbs/in rate dual PAC springs as before in my LS1.

Reply Quote from Dave at Hylift Topline

Hello Tim,

I understand what you are saying. As long as your seat spring pressure isn’t above 130 lbs & you don’t over rev beyond 6500 rpm our 2148 will work just fine.

If either are exceded you will collapse lifters in the stuck down position.

Thanks & best of luck with your engine

Dave Ewet

and (both lifters have forged steel bodies)

Last edited by TimsLS1; 06-13-2020 at 04:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TimsLS1:
Jay Fisher (06-14-2020), omc8 (06-14-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

Result, I had to sell my LS7 2148 lifters and exchange for the 2148 SE as my PAC springs were 160 seat pressure well over 130 lbs he mentions.

Quick Reply: Hylift Johnson 2148SE