Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some PTV and Milling Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Some PTV and Milling Questions

Alright...so I'm running a rather radical cam in my stock bottom end LS1...I already know I have to fly cut my pistons for that cam, but my question is how deep into the piston can I go before I have to worry about the integrity of the piston? I would also like to mill the heads to get some more compression out of the motor and try to make alittle more power with stock parts. Now this brings me back to the PTV cause now I'd have to cut even more. Also when I mill the heads I have to shorten the pushrods correspondence to the amount I mill off the heads correct? Also how do I figure out how deep I have to go into the piston? In their a formula to use to figure it out? Or is it just cut and clay until I have the clearance I need? Also where do I find the tool to fly cut through the heads? I haven't been able to find it anywhere....

-Dave
Old 12-02-2009, 09:01 PM
9 Second Club

The tool is made by Lindy tools http://www.lindytools.com/ . I have used this tool and it's a real nice piece. Cuts the piston like butter, has a radiused edge, and will have the needed radial clearance to provide a nice relief for the valve to recede into. The stock piston is about 250 thous thick. I have heard of guys flycuttin 120 thous. Personally i'd be leary going more than 100 but thats just me.

Pushrods should be measured with a checker. If your preload is wrong before the heads are milled your math will land you with the wrong preload again. Using the checker is the only way to be sure.

As for checking PTV there are others on here better suited to give you a reliable answer on the procedure. I used an LG camshaft and used valvedrop method that uses figures LG provided me with.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by JFM-jr
The tool is made by Lindy tools http://www.lindytools.com/ . I have used this tool and it's a real nice piece. Cuts the piston like butter, has a radiused edge, and will have the needed radial clearance to provide a nice relief for the valve to recede into. The stock piston is about 250 thous thick. I have heard of guys flycuttin 120 thous. Personally i'd be leary going more than 100 but thats just me.

Pushrods should be measured with a checker. If your preload is wrong before the heads are milled your math will land you with the wrong preload again. Using the checker is the only way to be sure.

As for checking PTV there are others on here better suited to give you a reliable answer on the procedure. I used an LG camshaft and used valvedrop method that uses figures LG provided me with.
What kind of checker are you referring to to check pushrod length?
Old 12-02-2009, 09:25 PM
9 Second Club

It is a telescopic tool that is the dimensions of a pushrod. You unscrew the tip and each revolution is 50 thous. If you try the search feature you will be sure to find threads on the procedure.

http://www.lmperformance.com/6311/74.html
Old 12-02-2009, 09:30 PM
9 Second Club

Wait a minute you a member on SBP.com ? LOL

Last edited by JFM-jr; 12-02-2009 at 10:41 PM.