Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing chain question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing chain question

ive been looking around at all of the different adjustable and non adjustable single and double roller timing chain kits and ive yet to find a definitive answer for what to go with for certain applications. im building an ls1 for mainly street use and some track use, and i am aiming to hit around 450-500 to the wheels. it seems like most people just go with the ls1 sprockets and ls2 chain. if im just shooting for the numbers i mentioned would the ls2 chain be fine. what about for high reving? do i really need a double roller or an adjustable chain if im not shooting for super high hp? any help would be great. thanks.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

To hit 450-500 at the wheels I would think you would want to degree your cam to make sure you install the cam at the correct ICL. To be sure your getting the most out of your cam. Imo I dont like the double rollers because of the fitment issues with the timing case cover. I have similar hp goals and I have been looking at the ls2 adjustable set that Yank is selling.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...s-engines.html
Old 12-08-2009, 09:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For that kind of power, I think a single or double roller would be just fine. It is better to get an adjustable timing chain so you can degree the cam in. You can degree the cam with a non-adjustable chain, you just can't move it if the cam is off a degree or two. You are pretty much stuck with what you have on the cam. We haven't had clearance issues in a long time with double roller chains with the front covers. Every now and then you will see issues with aftermarket oil pumps not clearing a double roller, but on a stock/ported GM pump there shouldn't be an issue. You can't really make a wrong choice.

Jon
Old 12-08-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My experience has been that LS1 sprockets w/ an LS2 timing chain works great in the power range that you have stated. Go adjustable though, it makes up for ICL issues found on mass produced cams. For example; you are likely to find your cam ICL out by 3* while degreeing it. Further, you will also have the ability to move the ICL where it best suits higher RPM peak HP.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned regarding double row sprockets & timing chain is the inertial loss caused by doubling up. A double row set up requires more energy to accelerate than a single set up does. Am not suggesting that doubles aren't better for hard drag strip launches & high HP......just that there is an energy cost (greater power loss during acceleration) involved.

If you plan on alot of hard launches, either dampen (add a chain dampener to reduce the effect of chain snap) the single LS2 chain or go double. Agreed, there isn't really a wrong choice.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Go with a good single. I would recommend the Cloyes Hex-adjust. If you want a great setup, Cloyes Hex-adjust and the Katech chain. If you want the ultimate, Cloyes Hex-adjust and the IRL chain. The only one who still has the IRL setup is SDPC as it is not made any more and they had some in stock. It is expensive, but the best chain ever made for the LS1.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

In no circumstance would I replace the chain and leave worn sprockets on an engine. To me they are a matched set and should be replaced as such.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:50 PM

thanks for all the info everyone. and of course im not gonna leave the worn sprocket in there. how about this one http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=985&catid=53 has anyone given this chain kit a shot? will an ls2 chain hold up to high revving?
Old 12-08-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grahamatron
thanks for all the info everyone. and of course im not gonna leave the worn sprocket in there. how about this one http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=985&catid=53 has anyone given this chain kit a shot? will an ls2 chain hold up to high revving?
The problem (well its not really a problem) with that chain set is you use the crank sprocket to adjust the timing to do that you have to remove the oil pump. The Cloyes and the ls2 set from yank adjust the timing with the cam gear which makes it easier to make future adjustments if you want to play with the power band. I cant really see high rpm being a problem for any of these chains plenty of guys are spinning to 7000 with the ls2 chains.

Quick Reply: timing chain question