Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a used Motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used Motor

As some of you may know, i have been stuck in a pickle trying to decide between buying a replacement motor or rebuilding the existing motor in my 98 SS. I have found a used LS1 for $1500, the previous owner reports the motor has 30k miles on it, and came out of a wrecked 2000 camaro. Is there anyway i can check this motor out to ensure im not buying a bum motor? I will be driving a good distance to look at it, so taking it to my shop for inspection is kind of out of the question. Is there any way for me to get an idea of whether or not this motor is in good running condition?
Old 12-08-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

whats wrong with your motor now.?? just need to be freshened up or threw a rod thoguht the block.??? i would rebuild if at all possible. be very sceptical when buying stuff like transmissions and motors. just my .02
Old 12-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Teching In

My current motor is making a very loud ticking noise, my shop, East Side Performance, told me it is in need of a rebuild. thats really i got to go on, i trust they are the best around, so im guessing that if there tellin me a rebuild is needed then it must be truth. The truth is that it is cheaper to buy a replacement motor than a rebuild. Not sure how to deal with it.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would think you could get a reman short block with a warranty for not much more then $1500. Look at it this way you already own one used motor.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya like he said. i wouldnt buy a used one without checking it out first. $1,500 gamble if you ask me. check prices on rebuild and remanufactured then go from there. for some reason i would trust a rebuilt one more than i would a remanufactured on. thats just me tho
Old 12-08-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Circa307
ya like he said. i wouldnt buy a used one without checking it out first. $1,500 gamble if you ask me. check prices on rebuild and remanufactured then go from there. for some reason i would trust a rebuilt one more than i would a remanufactured on. that's just me tho
I have installed several reman motors and trannys from Jasper Engines and never seen any problems.As far as warranty they have a 3yr/ 100,000 mile that covers parts and labor.These are not that reman **** from the parthouse chain stores. They actually update the Ls1 shortblocks with graphite coated pistons to get rid of that noisy *** piston slap everybody loves. If you have the know how a rebuild would be cheaper.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

i never seem to get what i expect with used engine parts. rebuild yours
Old 12-09-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rjensen
i never seem to get what i expect with used engine parts. rebuild yours

So damn true.......
Old 12-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rebuild your own. You have a few options but your looking at machining costs for the block then a rotating assembly and assembly. Cost will be more than $1500 but you know it will be done right and there will be no guessing about a strange noise you hear when your driving it.

You can go forged for cheap money, I can show you how to save on the crank and rods and still build a stout engine. You just need a builder you trust on your end, or send us your block and we'll take care of it all and with HKE's reputation you know your in good hands.

But I agree with the others why replace a used engine with a used engine?