Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought block and need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bought block and need some help

So I bought a stock ls1 block off and crank off of a friend of mine the other day. I think that i got a pretty good deal on both of them. My question is now i am going to be building it over time. Probably by this time next year I hope to have it done. The block is already honed he said. I am going to have it taken to a machine shop and looked over and have them polish the crank for me. Oh and the crank is stock also. I plan on doing forged rods and pistons so I can spray it probably like a 200 shot. ive never used nitrous before so I am going to start off small and then bump it up as I feel comfortable. I was just wondering if some of you guys could help me pick out some rods and pistons that would work with stock block and crank and will handle up to some nitrous abuse. I have ls6 heads that will be ported and milled. I already have a vrx4 cam in the car and that will be used for this build also. Also if anybody could help me with what all would be needed for the build that would be awesome. Thanks in advance guys
Old 12-14-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you can pick up some eagle h-beams for probably the best and fairest price, or possibly some scat rods, as far as pistons go, You really need to know the size of the bore, You stated that the block has been honed, that is not a good thing, considering when you have your block honed you let the machine shop have the pistons so they can hone to the right size giving you the correct clearance. the two common overhone sizes I have seen have been 3.903 and 3.905. Pistons seem to be pure opinion, wisecos, lunatis, mahles, JEs, are very common and guys run them and love them. When you buy pistons make sure your ring set has a steel top ring to help with the added heat of the nitrous.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RARON455
you can pick up some eagle h-beams for probably the best and fairest price, or possibly some scat rods, as far as pistons go, You really need to know the size of the bore, You stated that the block has been honed, that is not a good thing, considering when you have your block honed you let the machine shop have the pistons so they can hone to the right size giving you the correct clearance. the two common overhone sizes I have seen have been 3.903 and 3.905. Pistons seem to be pure opinion, wisecos, lunatis, mahles, JEs, are very common and guys run them and love them. When you buy pistons make sure your ring set has a steel top ring to help with the added heat of the nitrous.
Ok thank you very much. If I take it to a machine shop they should be able to tell what size I would need now correct? Ok on the rings is there any thing other that I need to know on the ring thing? I was hoping that for about $2500 I would be able to have just about all the parts that I need to get it going as long as I use some of the stuff off of my motor like the knock sensors and that stuff? what do you think?
Old 12-15-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nobody else has any say in this matter... come on guys