Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help think my engines dead already

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help think my engines dead already

well its taken 2 years now to get the car running and i just got it off the dyno and tuned last tues. I started it today to check oil pressure with a good gauge and it seems low to me, when hot its 19-20 at idle, if i floor the gas fast and let off [ 5000 rpm ] it hits about 40psi, if i hold 4500-5000 for a sec or so it holds about 50psi.

My big problem now is that i have a knock or very bad piston slap if i hit the gas or hold it around 2000-3000 rpm. [ On pass side of engine soulds like ] Sounds great at idle

Does the oil pressure seem ok there or still low, i guess i need to pull the front cover and take a look for starters.

Last edited by crazygn; 12-16-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I pulled the valley cover and the front cover and all looks fine, no play in anything. Also oil looks clean and nothing on the bolt, no metal or anything. Hard to tell where the noise is but it sounds like the back mid or bottom of the engine.

Oil pan next i guess
Old 12-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Teching In

i had a simliar issue, currently fixing it, started with low oil pressure, then a slight knock sounded on top of the motor near the passenger side but more in the mid, i lost oil pressure at 5400 rpms and i ended up spinning a rod bearing and some main bearings, just a heads up it could very well so be simliar, i had shavings in my valley but at that piont the car aws undriveable, i recommend u park it and dont drive it till you figure out the knock because its only going to get worse. also yes thats pretty low oil pressure, should be close to 40psi at idle ant just a smudge over 40 close to 60 psi on a stock pump, strecthed rods could cause the oil pressure to drop as well, also on my issue which sounds simliar to yours the piston had just started slap'n the head just a little bit, absoluetly dont drive it otherwise you could end up having a piston fly threw the side of the block

Last edited by ls1fsho; 12-17-2009 at 12:35 PM. Reason: adding content
Old 12-17-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

your right on the money , i just pulled the oil pan and theres bearing in the pick up screen and oil pan. Took to long to get the car to this point to start over now, bad luck

Sure this will cost a pretty penny at the machine shop
Old 12-18-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Machine work is relatively cheap. Sounds like to me with that low of pressure, you prob have pinched the O-ring. Or cam bearings may have been installed incorrectly, or wrong sized bearings.