Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the 228R cam do without a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the 228R cam do without a tune?

Anyone done the 228R cam on an M6 Ls1? I want to know how well it ran with out being tuned. The reason is im doing the cam swap myself and i want to know if i can drive the car to get it tuned or if its going to need to be towed.

One other thing, has anyone tried the FAST-Flash power programmer? The specs on that tuner said they come pre tuned for cams in the duration as the 228R.

Thanks
Old 12-20-2009, 05:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't have any issues driving it to get it tuned. It may not want to idle as good as you'd like, but it's nothing you can't handle til you get to the tuner. Just stay outta the throttle til you confirm the a/f is good.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats good to hear. Thanks
Old 12-20-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove mine for a few weeks before getting the tune. It will want to stall when you first start the car but once the PCM bumps up the fuel trims it ran fine.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

i ran a 224 for almost a month before it was tuned.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah my biggest concern so far is where to get the damn thing tuned at. There is two places here in Boise that i know of who do tuning. One guy is a CMR dealer for Diablosport and the other guy tunes using HP. The problem is i dont know which guy to use. The CMR dealer is kind of an *** and the guy who does HP tuners i have only heard one opinion on him and it was negative.

So im not sure what to do.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why not get a mail order tune from somebody like Frost? That should get you close enough that you can drive it somewhere and get it tuned.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought about it but then think of how much money that would be on just tuning.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Come up to spokane and I will tune it for the cost of credits since I do it as a hobby =)
Old 12-21-2009, 06:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS12Fast4U
I thought about it but then think of how much money that would be on just tuning.
Its cheaper then burning the motor up because your running around with a lean tune from someone that may or may not know what they are doing.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BaddBird
Its cheaper then burning the motor up because your running around with a lean tune from someone that may or may not know what they are doing.
Thats very true as welll. This is why i havent done the cam yet. I was really hoping to either get a predator or HP Tuners with a base tune already downloaded in it so all i had to do was fine tune it but every rep i have talked to for each company has beat around the bush on the subject and wont do it.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats very true as welll. This is why i havent done the cam yet. I was really hoping to either get a predator or HP Tuners with a base tune already downloaded in it so all i had to do was fine tune it but every rep i have talked to for each company has beat around the bush on the subject and wont do it.
I wouldnt go with a hand held unit to try & tune for a cam, or anything else. I would go with a frost tune or online tune as an alternative to a dyno tune. I would think it should be very close, especially considering how popular the 228 cams are. I almost wish I would have went this route before I did the dyno tune, I didnt do any research on it though. Having a local tune it with HP Tuners & pay the credits or for a small fee can be a great bargain as well. I had a local guy tune my GTP & he did an excellent street tune, & AFR was perfect without using a wideband. He wasnt even gonna charge me but I still gave him $100 which was a steal cuz I prolly gained 30 hp from the tune. Find someone that knows what theyre doing & you should be ok, but you can still drive the car with that cam without a tune, I even ran mine at the track once but I wouldnt recommend it or do it again.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can drive it to get it tuned. The car will probably be a little temperamental but you shouldn't have too much of a problem driving it there. I wouldn't make any wide open throttle pulls or beat on the car too much without a tune but on the part throttle stuff, it should be fine. If the car likes to die at idle, you can cheat and open the TB a bit using the set screw but take note on how far you go so you can set it back before you have the car tuned. That or you can drill the TB.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Jon
Old 12-21-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can i buy HP Tuners from frost and have him install the base tune in it? Is that even possible or should i just go to the guy that does HP tuners here in Boise and hope to god i get a good tune???
Old 12-22-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Regular

this may be a dumb question but if your looking at purchasing HP Tuners then why not learn how to tune?
Old 12-22-2009, 06:58 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW, Frost does quality work. His mail orders are damn close, real damn close. As for "spending money on a tune". A good tuner is worth his weight in gold, because it doesn't take 5 minutes. It's takes hours upon hours to learn how to tune correctly.

Ideally you'd want someone local who can log the car, tune it for part throttle, dial in your MAF, tune spark, and then adjust WOT/Air/Fuel on the street. This is the most accurate way to tune.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Damian
FWIW, Frost does quality work. His mail orders are damn close, real damn close. As for "spending money on a tune". A good tuner is worth his weight in gold, because it doesn't take 5 minutes. It's takes hours upon hours to learn how to tune correctly.

Ideally you'd want someone local who can log the car, tune it for part throttle, dial in your MAF, tune spark, and then adjust WOT/Air/Fuel on the street. This is the most accurate way to tune.
I dont have any tuners around here that i would trust or have the experience to tune my car. I fear all i will get is a WOT tune and thats it.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The other option i have seen has been the FAST-Flash power programer. It has different cam options for the enthusiast that wants to do a cam swap. Thats one thing i just recently found and it looks interesting. I havent found any feed back on it though.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah my biggest concern so far is where to get the damn thing tuned at. There is two places here in Boise that i know of who do tuning. One guy is a CMR dealer for Diablosport and the other guy tunes using HP. The problem is i dont know which guy to use. The CMR dealer is kind of an *** and the guy who does HP tuners i have only heard one opinion on him and it was negative.

So im not sure what to do.
wow, forget those hacks..get a mail order tune from a reputable tuner like Charlie at RPM Motorsports or Doug at East Coast Supercharging.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well since most people on here think i should do a mail order tune is there anyone that does mail order tuning and i dont have to send my computer to them? The reason im wondering this is because its my daily driver. The car has to be up and running as soon as possible. Its my DD.

Quick Reply: How does the 228R cam do without a tune?