Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car stalls out and back fires on WOT...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car stalls out and back fires on WOT...

Here is a list of what i can think of that could be causing this problem.. its been going on for a while..

Incorrect PCV system setup. I have no PCV valve.

Leak in the exhaust. my y-pipe is not fully secured to the long tube headers. Could my O2's be picking this up and not letting me go over 3/4 throttle? I have corvette O2's.

One of my spark plug wires rests ever so slightly on the header pipe. Could this cause a problem?

I have a stripped positive battery terminal that sometimes causes my tripometer to be reset randomly.

What i have already checked...

1.) Fuel pressure does not drop off. Pump is good.
2.) MAF is good, i switched with a buddy and problem persists.
3.) Switched out MAP sensor with known good part. Problem persists.

im poor and its pretty damn cold outside which is why some of these easy fixes have yet to be resolved so please save for judgment for someone who wants to hear it lmao. thanks!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

I had almost same prob when ill wot it just stalls out when I let go it stop and go normal some say it maybe shortciruit in transmission lines or somewhere mite be problem
Old 12-29-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Major rule of mine is "fix what you know is wrong and see what you have". Fix your exhaust leaks and battery cable and anything else you see wrong. It would be nice if you could scan the car. An exhaust leak can cause false high fuel trims which will carry over to your wide open throttle fueling. If that exhaust leak is getting to your front 02's, that's a big problem. Also, make sure you don't have any air allowed to enter the motor other than through legitimate avenues (vacuum lines and throttle body). No unmetered air must get into the engine. You can spray carb cleaner or turn on a propane torch with no flame and run the engine and listen for variances in the idle to see if you have a vacuum leak. Read your plugs to see if any stand out.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

I had almost same prob when ill wot it just stalls out when I let go it stop and go normal some say it maybe shortciruit in transmission lines or somewhere mite be problem
Old 01-13-2010, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Last time an F-Body stalled on me like that, there was a crack in one of my ignition coils and water was seeping in and shorting it out..
Old 01-13-2010, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Does it shut off and backfire once u hit 5500 or 6000 rpms? IF so check your crank sensor and the wiring for the sensor.
If you replace the sensor make sure u get a crank sensor relearn. Hope this helps..

Quick Reply: car stalls out and back fires on WOT...