Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head bolt help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 11:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Head bolt help

Im in the process of torquing (however you spell that) my heads down, I torqued in sequence all the middle and bottom bolts to 22 ft lbs, then got to the top, I already broke a bolt and took the head back off and got it out. Im back to that point again and 22 ft lbs feels like too much for the smaller top bolts. Are they really supposed to be 22 ft lbs too? Im affraid to keep turning them after breaking one already and the feel super tight and the torque wrench hasnt clicked yet. This is my first internal motor work so sorry about the question.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:20 PM
...with cheese.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

22ft lb is correct, it sounds like you need to have your torque wrench calibrated.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:40 AM
12 Second Club

Thats exactly what it was, I just ran to wal mart and picked up a new torque wrench, I was using my dads before, I went over all the bolts, and it overtightened them, thier all reading between 45 and 50 ft lbs. Should I back them out and start over? I read up on the torque to 22 then draw the line on the bolt and turn them some more, so not sure how far 45 ft lbs is off from what they actually come out to after you give them the additional turns.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

the head bolts are streched torqued, they can only be streched one time. if you back off then the bolts will need to be replaced they will not be able to hold the same clamping force. you could take a chance if u havn't deg torqued them yet. the first steps are on only to seat the head evenly.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I woulnd't think that 45 lb-ft would have reached the point where the bolts yield but without knowing the material (in detail) it can't be determined. Back off the bolts and start over with a known good wrench.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the answers. The bolts are Fel-Pro stock replacements. I feel ok with the bigger head bolts being at that torque, due to the degree turns you do after torquing them to 22. I am concerned about the smaller ones up top because if I read right, you torque them to 22 and leave them. I know the 20 ft lbs extra they are isnt much of a turn though. I hate to take them out and have 2 more sets, but I will if thats what needs done. Can I back the top ones out just a little bit, or will that mess them up since they are the one time use bolts?
Old 01-05-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt worry too much about the top ones. There isnt any water/oil passages up there so you wouldnt leak as long as your long bolts are torqued correctly