Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clacking Problems Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clacking Problems Help Please

I tore down my engine to put my new cam in there well its a good thing i did i had blown head gaskets but anyway its all back together and now theres a loud clacking sound coming from the passenger side head so i take the valve cover off to check to make sure the rockers are tight. turns out there were a couple loose ones so i slap it all back together start it up and still this loud clacking noise and im stumped the only other thing i can think of is a bolt or socket or something is in there or a messed up lifter. Just wanted to see what you guys thought it might be.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

did you replace the lifters when you did the cam? if so what kind did you put in and did you prime them before install? could be a collapsed lifter i have had a few do that. how long have you let the car run? and are you certain you have all of the rockers tight this time? also are you making good oil pressure, if you nicked the notorious blue o-ring you will loose oil press and may be having issues from there.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Im using the same lifters so i shouldnt have to prime them right? I let it run for about 5 minutes and heard it the entire time and all the rockers are tight im sure about that. And I also have good oil pressure. The head has plenty of oil in it so i dont think its from lack of lubricant.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check the bearings in the offending rockers and make sure they are all in there. If it starts spilling bearings, a tight bolt won't matter.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Launching!

ok he's doing this in my garage, and i would call it more of a chirping. its about 2-3 chirps and its only on decel. we rev it up a little and its fine, then let off sharply and it starts to fall then the irritating set of chirps and some pops too.
the car actually runs great, other than this, we tried changing pushrods back to stock, swapped in another set of stock rockers, still chirping.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Well we took it for a test drive to see if it would go away and now its missing some and the chirping is worse anyone have any other ideas?
Old 01-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Launching!

well fool ^^^^ looks like we gonna have to tear the bitch down and see what we did wrong. now my car aint the only one to be left sitting in the garage broke for weeks at a time. maybe if you wouldnt sit in my living room playing video games, your car wouldnt be broke
Old 01-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Teching In

^^^^ thats what i think besides your 408 will still be a lol
Old 01-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Teching In

i think a lifter might be clogged cuz there was dirt all through it but we'll find out tomorrow
Old 01-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by THE_KOON
i think a lifter might be clogged cuz there was dirt all through it but we'll find out tomorrow
well if you'd listen to my advice and just get all new ones you wouldnt have to guess.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Teching In

U never said get new lifters besides ur guessing too lol
Old 01-25-2010, 07:00 AM
Teching In

Well I have the passenger side head off and nothing absolutely nothing was wrong. So now I have no idea what it could be the only thing is that the little holes on the lifters were facing different directions I dont know is there a specific direction they have to face? Id appreciate any other ideas.