Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change of plans

Old 01-22-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Change of plans

So for those of you that read my thread about being a cam newbie well my plans have changed and I have a few more questions to ask.

I have come across an LS6 with about 28k miles on it that I am getting for cheap. I am still planning on doing a cam but now I dont know if the TSP Torquer v2 would be the best choice. If I recall the cam specs on the LS1 and LS6 are not too far off so this should still be a nice gain correct? I am obviously going to do valve springs (double) as well, and the more I read about pushrods the more necessary they seem to be when doing a cam swap. I will try and find some 3/8 hardened to keep them from flexing too much (where can I find these?) but what about length? I have read that 7.4" is supposed to be stock but there can be some variance in length and most people just go with a 7.4". Rockers are staying the stock.

Overall since I found this motor it is going to save me about 1k bucks and I will have a motor with way less miles than my LS1 and be putting out the same power if not more than I was shooting for originally on my LS1. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year LS6 is it? If its a 2001 than your not gaining a whole lot...if its a 2002-2004 than your getting better heads/intake and half a point more in compression which is nice.

Push rods are a 100% must when doing a cam swap, just like valve springs. Who ever you get your camshaft from (as long as its not used) will be able to recommend push rods for your application.

That camshaft will work fine in the LS6 and will make more power in it than the regular LS1. The compression increase comes from a slightly smaller combustion chamber so you wont have to worry about piston to valve clearance from a domed piston like in gen 1 stuff.

Hope that helps
Old 01-22-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting it from a guy I know at the chevy dealer and I am not sure what year it is yet. My motor has 120k with a bent rod and bad lifters so it is worth it either way.

Search this Thread