Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice from preformance shop conflicting

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 02:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice from preformance shop conflicting

with the "how to's " on LS1tech of setting up yella terra's.

preformance shop suggested i install a check spring, torque the rocker studs to spec (with yellas installed) find zero-lash with PRLC turn motor by hand a few times, check the wipe pattern and adjust PUSHROD length to get proper wipe pattern, take this zero-lash & proper wipe pattern & add .05 for preload and call it a day.

needless to say my little brain is confused

is this the correct way to go about it ? or do i NEED to **** around with shims in order to get proper wipe?

Thanks

Rhodes
Old 01-24-2010, 02:30 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Do a search. I'm too lazy and too tired to type it out, but there's plenty of info posted here on how to properly set up YT's.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Damian
Do a search. I'm too lazy and too tired to type it out, but there's plenty of info posted here on how to properly set up YT's.

did find some info before hand.

i just would like to know if i can eliminate the shims via pushrod length?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:07 AM
Staging Lane

alright nevermind i have been doing alot of searching around on here, seems stockers will handle the high rpms/agressive nature of my cam better than YT's. hopefully my stockers dont puke needle bearings.

guess i have NIB 1.7 roller rockers for sale
Old 01-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a shaft/pedestal style mount system (not a studmount with a floating rocker arm that moves up and down with variance in pushrod length).

You adjust wipe by shimming the stands higher or lower....NOT by increasing or decreasing pushrod length. Once you establish stand height and wipe pattern then you choose the proper pushrod length to give yourself the pre-load you desire in the lifter plunger (1-2 turns past zero lash being the most common).

-Tony
Old 01-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
This is a shaft/pedestal style mount system (not a studmount with a floating rocker arm that moves up and down with variance in pushrod length).

You adjust wipe by shimming the stands higher or lower....NOT by increasing or decreasing pushrod length. Once you establish stand height and wipe pattern then you choose the proper pushrod length to give yourself the pre-load you desire in the lifter plunger (1-2 turns past zero lash being the most common).

-Tony
Thanks for that.

So set up the rockers:

1) get the correct wipe with shims and torque to 22ft/lbs.

2) find zero lash via an adjustable push rod & add your desired lifter preload to zero lash push rod length, get said pushrods, and call it a day?

that makes more sense to me then finding zero lash by finger tightening the rocker stud, then using the thread pitch to give you an approximation of lifter preload
Old 01-24-2010, 04:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You got it... As always, Tony is right on the money.

Shane
Old 01-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome. thanks guys
Old 01-24-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have several posts with photo's on how to set these up. LS1howto is not correct in this regard. Neither is the shop you are talking to. You will need to check pushrod length as well once you get them set correctly. Both are independent.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I have several posts with photo's on how to set these up. LS1howto is not correct in this regard. Neither is the shop you are talking to. You will need to check pushrod length as well once you get them set correctly. Both are independent.
vettenuts ,

found your writeup and read it a couple times. the lightbulb went on so to speak . establish proper wipe pattern with the shims , then install and torque, and finally check pushrod length @ zero lash & add preload.

very good writeup btw
Old 01-25-2010, 09:31 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
That one sentence needs to be a sticky. I reset YT's all the time for people who install stuff themselves and use LS1howto's instructions.