Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$6495, 350ci LS ~430whp Turn Key or?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 03:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Default $6495, 350ci LS ~430whp Turn Key or?

Im really a noob when it comes to lsx cars, all of my knowledge of parts and prices and such is still stuck in protege mode from my previous cars. This is what ive been suggested by my dad and a few of his friends however they have a pretty good amount of money and alot of them dont have the time or the initiative to work on there own cars. This seems like a really good deal to me but im wondering the communitys vote is, what else could i do for the money and how would it compare? Any and all comments are welcome. I have an absolutely bone stock a4 car with 97355 on the odo.

5.7 L Engine package
500 BHP / 460 lbs-ft of torque

Package includes:
• Engine removal, cleaning, inspection and disassembly
• Professional degreeing of camshaft
• Lingenfelter Stage 2 LS6 cylinder heads
• LPE valve springs and lightweight valve spring retainers
• Over sized stainless steel intake/exhaust valves
• Three angle valve job, set correct spring tensions & heights
• Custom Competition Cams hydraulic roller camshaft
• Oil pump modification
• Ported and polished throttle body
• MSD 8.5 MM spark plug wires
• NGK TR55 spark plugs
• Stainless long tube exhaust headers
• High flow catalytic converters and Y pipe
• Rollmaster timing chain set
• All necessary gaskets, bolts and fluids
• Professional installation, testing and LS1 Edit tuning
• 1 year warranty on parts and labor

1998-2002 F-Body Package Price $6,495.00

2 week turn around time, drop off, pick up, turn key.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt you'll get a whole lot of people to say go for it on here. We're bang-for-buck guys around here.

I'd at least call a sponsor that does installs in your area (which we don't know what that is) and see what they would charge for the same thing. Honestly, don't just dive in without looking first.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I didnt plan on diving in at all. Its going to be 4-5 months before i have the extra coin anyways since I also need to replace my p/s pump, p/s rack, drive belts, and front seat covers. Its going into the body shop in feburary to get all the dents dings and scratchs removed then it should be ready for some performance mods. The local LSX shop is XP Racing and Brett @ XP does real good work, so i intend to approach him for a comparison estimate. Itd be kinda cool to have the lingenfelter name on my car but im not that desperate for a name. Track times and dyno numbers mean much much more to me. Of course im not going for an all out race car either which should make it fit within my budget a little easier. My biggest concern is reliability, this car is my dd on nice weather days.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
Im really a noob when it comes to lsx cars, all of my knowledge of parts and prices and such is still stuck in protege mode from my previous cars. This is what ive been suggested by my dad and a few of his friends however they have a pretty good amount of money and alot of them dont have the time or the initiative to work on there own cars. This seems like a really good deal to me but im wondering the communitys vote is, what else could i do for the money and how would it compare? Any and all comments are welcome. I have an absolutely bone stock a4 car with 97355 on the odo.

5.7 L Engine package
500 BHP / 460 lbs-ft of torque

Package includes:
• Engine removal, cleaning, inspection and disassembly
• Professional degreeing of camshaft
• Lingenfelter Stage 2 LS6 cylinder heads
• LPE valve springs and lightweight valve spring retainers
• Over sized stainless steel intake/exhaust valves
• Three angle valve job, set correct spring tensions & heights
• Custom Competition Cams hydraulic roller camshaft
• Oil pump modification
• Ported and polished throttle body
• MSD 8.5 MM spark plug wires
• NGK TR55 spark plugs
• Stainless long tube exhaust headers
• High flow catalytic converters and Y pipe
• Rollmaster timing chain set
• All necessary gaskets, bolts and fluids
• Professional installation, testing and LS1 Edit tuning

1998-2002 F-Body Package Price $6,495.00

2 week turn around time, drop off, pick up, turn key.
Lets see if i can help you out a lil bit. Im not sure where your located but lets run through this list and see what it should cost around. Im from NY so our labor rates may be higher.

-Engine removal, cleaning, inspection and disassembly- 21.5 hrs book time removal dissasembly reinstall. Shop should be able to do it faster but around 2000$.
• Professional degreeing of camshaft-included in labor
• Lingenfelter Stage 2 LS6 cylinder heads-1295.00 new
• LPE valve springs and lightweight valve spring retainers-included above
• Over sized stainless steel intake/exhaust valves-included above
• Three angle valve job, set correct spring tensions & heights-included above
• Custom Competition Cams hydraulic roller camshaft-350$
• Oil pump modification- not sure what this is assuming porting but shouldnt be more than a ported new one which is 165$
• Ported and polished throttle body-75$
• MSD 8.5 MM spark plug wires-50$
• NGK TR55 spark plugs-20$
• Stainless long tube exhaust headers-not sure which brand could vary from 600$ to 2000$ with cats/ ypipe
• High flow catalytic converters and Y pipe-incl above
• Rollmaster timing chain set-115$
• All necessary gaskets, bolts and fluids-around 350$
• Professional installation, testing and LS1 Edit tuning-quoted above add $350 for tuning.

Id expect you to be paying around 5000-6500 for this depending upon the exhaust setup being used. I would check with them. A big chunk of the portion is labor as well and rates are much cheaper in other parts of the country.

For this price you could also look into a vortech supercharger kit which can be done for around 6500-7000 installed/tuned. This will net you more power but may break more parts(torque arm/rearend ect.). this will also give you the option to upgrade later if you were to build your motor, suspension, and rear you could just turn up the boost and retune for more power.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If they are still tuning with LS1 Edit I would run away, far far away!
Old 01-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Launching!

So...basically your getting heads, cam, and headers installed for $6500?

That seems a little steep? Id check around before you dropped that much cash!
Old 01-24-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Get dyno numbers out of your head if you are an a4
Old 01-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Launching!

Just did the math...your LABOR total would be $3250. Call some sponsors on here, they wont charge nearly that much.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im really a noob when it comes to lsx cars, all of my knowledge of parts and prices and such is still stuck in protege mode from my previous cars. This is what ive been suggested by my dad and a few of his friends however they have a pretty good amount of money and alot of them dont have the time or the initiative to work on there own cars.
What about you - do you have the skills to spin a few wrenches? There are many write-ups around here on how to perform a heads/cam swap. If you do the bulk of the work yourself, you can budget for better heads, an intake, or possibly both.
I have an absolutely bone stock a4 car with 97355 on the odo.
Assuming the engine runs well, there are plenty of people who have installed heads and cam on an engine with as much or more mileage than yours. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with.

As has already been stated, you can buy the components from a sponsor here, perhaps using a 'package' that they have put together for cost savings and the added ease of tuning once you get it assembled.

One other thing, whether you do it yourself or have someone perform all the labor, you might consider doing the paint work after all the mechanical work is complete. Accidents happen, and fresh paint is not the most durable surface where wrenches, heads and perhaps a complete engine R&R is concerned.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im kinda stuck on the bodywork, i made the appointment last june and next month if the next opening my body guy has lol. Thanks for all the info guys its helped alot, looks like ill be purchasing a long block from a vendor, installing it myself then have the local shop build my 4l60 and tune it, he uses HP tuners and has built some pretty wicked local lsx cars. Its the same shop that Trust's car was built and tuned by.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Im kinda stuck on the bodywork, i made the appointment last june and next month if the next opening my body guy has lol. Thanks for all the info guys its helped alot, looks like ill be purchasing a long block from a vendor, installing it myself then have the local shop build my 4l60 and tune it, he uses HP tuners and has built some pretty wicked local lsx cars. Its the same shop that Trust's car was built and tuned by.
You have it all wrong. Why are you buying a new engine? Is there something wrong with your current engine or are you putting a 408 in it? Most guys on here just swap the heads, cam, intake on their current engines. No need for a completely new engine at all.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1

If money is no object to you, then go right ahead, but there should be plenty of life in that shortblock as long as the upgrades are properly installed and maintained. If you are the type that has to go that direction for piece of mind so be it, but do so knowing that there are far cheaper ways to go about it.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:36 PM
MJD
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warranty on parts and labor, this sounds like a Lingenfelter package. If it is they have a spectacular reputation in the corvette world. If you don't like turning wrenches they are a good option.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

dunno why you want a whole new engine...be cheaper to get your stuff redone IMO..and have some extra coin to go towards that new rear end you WILL NEEED...but what are you plans for the stock engine you are taking out?

sorry re-read your thread title..and you want to spend $6500 ish to get 430rwhp? edelbrock makes a cam/heads kit that gets you that and i am pretty damn posative its no where near that kind of coin...